Transcripts & Verifications

Your official UWM enrollment record is documented on your transcript. Transcripts are generally required when transferring to another institution, applying to graduate or professional schools, or when an official record is needed to certify the credits, grades, and credentials you earned while at UWM.

There are four types of official documents available on this page: official transcripts, unofficial transcripts, enrollment verifications, and graduation verification.

  • Official Transcripts*: used by other institutions, can be sent as a physical copy or digital PDF. PDFs can only be issued if records are after 1984.
  • Unofficial Transcripts*: physical copies only, can only be issued to the student.

*Please note – All financial obligations to the University and holds on your student account must be satisfied or requests for transcripts, both official and unofficial, will not be processed.

  • Enrollment Verification: used to certify enrollment, typically used for insurance discounts or loan deferment.
  • Graduation Verification: a letter that states a degree has been awarded or will be awarded pending successful completion of degree requirements.

As the gatekeeper of undergraduate student records at the University, the Registrar’s Office is responsible for abiding by and enforcing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which governs and protects students’ rights to their individual educational records.  As such, we are obligated to carefully authenticate the identity of anyone requesting student data that is outside of what is deemed directory information. As of March 1, 2020 all requests for records that are made outside of our online transcript ordering service will require a signature of the student and a legible photocopy of a valid, government-issued ID.  Currently enrolled students may use their UWM ID as proof of identity.

UWM graduate students should see the Graduate School website for transcript information.

UWM at Waukesha and UWM at Washington County students should request transcripts from the Credentials website for any enrollment prior to the Fall 2019 semester.  For any enrollment in Fall 2019 or later, use the request options indicated below.

Request Undergraduate Official Transcript
You can request to have your official transcript mailed ($12 per copy), sent electronically as a PDF ($10 per copy), or picked up in person during regular business hours ($10 per copy).

Online Request Form
The easiest and fastest way to request your official transcript is online.  It is also the only way to pay using a credit card aside from in-person requests.  UW-Milwaukee uses a secure third-party vendor, Credentials Solutions, to process online transcript request orders.  The request site is available 24/7 for students and alumni with options to deliver your transcript by secure email (PDF format), mail (including expedited), or in-person pick-up at the UWM Registrar’s Office.  After your request is submitted, you can receive order status updates through email or text messaging.

Order Official Undergraduate Transcript Online

Paper Request Form
If you prefer not to submit an online request for your official undergraduate transcript, you can follow the steps below.  Paper requests are only processed during regular business hours, and the only delivery options are mail or in-person pick-up at the UWM Registrar’s Office. For your data security, the only payment options are cash, check, or money order.

  • Print out and complete the Undergraduate Transcript Request
  • You have the option to pay for expedited delivery (you need to include the delivery street address, no PO Boxes allowed)
  • Mail your completed form to the Registrar’s Office (Attn:  Undergraduate Transcript Processing) along with payment in the form of a check or money order made out to UW-Milwaukee
    Transcripts that you receive yourself will be stamped “Issued to Student”
Request Undergraduate Unofficial Transcript

Current Students
With an active UWM Email Address, you can request up to one free electronic copy of your Unofficial Undergraduate or Graduate Transcript per day in PAWS:

  1. Log in to PAWS
  2. Under the Academics header, click in the drop down menu and select Transcript: View Unofficial, then click the arrow button
  3. Select the Undergraduate or Graduate Transcript and default Output Destination Type (email), then click the Submit Transcript Request button
  4. A PDF copy will be delivered to your UWM Email Address immediately

Former Students
If you currently don’t have PAWS access or an active UWM Email Address, you can make one free hard copy Unofficial Undergraduate Transcript Request per semester by mail, fax, or in person at the Registrar’s Office. Unofficial transcripts only will be issued to the student.

Third Party

All third parties must request official transcripts through our secure third-party vendor, Credentials Solutions, as unofficial transcripts are only issued to students.

Request Enrollment Verification


You can view and print an Enrollment Verification Certificate through PAWS once your semester information has been reported to the National Student Clearinghouse.

  1. Log in to PAWS
  2. Under the yellow Academics header, click in the drop down menu and select Proof of Enrollment, then click the yellow arrow button
  3. Click the blue Continue to Enrollment Verification link
  4. Click Obtain an enrollment certificate to view a printable document

If you require information other than just enrollment (e.g., GPA), you can drop off, mail, or fax this signed request form to the Registrar’s Office.  If you are enclosing a document that must be filled out as part of the request, please make sure specific information is included about what should be done with the document when completed.


Any student or alumnus, or third-party including parents, employers, companies, or agencies can request enrollment status or degree verifications via the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) website. Fees may apply.

  • Online anytime:
  • By Phone: (703) 742-4200, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:15 pm EST
  • By Fax: (703) 742-4239

If you require information other than just enrollment (e.g., GPA), you can drop off, mail, or fax this signed request form to the Registrar’s Office.  If you are enclosing a document that must be filled out as part of the request, please make sure specific information is included about what should be done with the document when completed.

You can mail or fax a Graduate Student Verification Request Form to the Graduate School – ATTN: Verifications, or make your request in person at Mitchell Hall Room #261.

Request Graduation Verification

Students who have applied for graduation and require verification of their graduation date from the University are able to generate a graduation verification letter online at This letter is for prospective graduates whose degrees are not yet posted or graduates who have graduated in the last 5 years.  All other graduates must contact the UWM Registrar’s Office at (414) 229-3800 or by email at The graduation verification letter will include the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Major
  • Expected or actual graduation date
Undergraduate Transcript Information
Official transcripts are printed on official paper and include the UWM seal. When an employer or school requests your transcripts, they usually want your official transcripts. If you request that your official transcript be sent to you directly, a cover letter will be included in a separate, sealed envelope with the transcript indicating that is was issued to you. Some institutions won’t accept a transcript that is not sent directly to them so plan your order ahead of time.

Unofficial transcripts are mainly for your own use.

Some holds may prevent the release of your transcript. Check the Holds section in your PAWS Student Center to identify any holds and click the details link for instructions on removing any holds.

Requests for undergraduate transcripts that are to be mailed or sent electronically via PDF are processed by a secure third-party vendor, Credentials Solutions.  Hard copies are generally mailed within two business days of your request. If you pay for expedited delivery, your request will be completed within one business day. Expedited delivery can’t be made to a PO Box, and isn’t available on weekends or holidays.  The Registrar’s Office can print “on demand” copies of official undergraduate transcripts if you come to our office in person during regular business hours.

Transfer Credit on Your Transcript

Transfer Credit from another college appears on your transcript copies with a UWM Equivalent course. Your grades from other institutions aren’t calculated into your UWM Grade Point Average.

You can browse the UWM Transfer Guides or contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Official Undergraduate Transcript Legend

To be official, the undergraduate transcript must include the seal and signature of the University Registrar.

Questions concerning the undergraduate transcript may be sent to the UWM Registrar’s Office.

NOTE: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides that the undergraduate transcript is not to be released to any person or agency without written consent of the student.

University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee History
The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee was formed September 1, 1956, from the merger of the Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee, and the University of Wisconsin Extension Division in Milwaukee.  The Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee, was also known as the Milwaukee Normal School (1885-1927) and as the Milwaukee State Teachers College (1927-1951).   The Wisconsin State College and its predecessor institution offered some graduate programs in education.

Through Semester 1/1971-72, the policy of the University of Wisconsin System was to maintain one academic record card for each student.  If a student attended more than one campus within the University of Wisconsin System, the coursework from all campuses was recorded on one record card.  Therefore, if the undergraduate transcript contains academic work prior to Semester 2/1971-72, from UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, UW-Parkside, the UW-Centers or UW-Extension, it is the official transcript of that coursework.  Beginning with Semester 2/1971-72, each campus maintains a separate record card for each student.

As of July 1, 2018, campuses in Waukesha and Washington County (formerly two-year campuses of the University of Wisconsin Colleges) became branch campuses of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and, as such, are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Official records of enrollment at these campuses through August 2019 are part of the University of Wisconsin Colleges transcript. Information regarding prior transcripts for UW Colleges is available at  Enrollment prior to Fall 2019 at these branch campuses is posted as transfer credit under the organization, “UW Colleges Associate Degree.”

Explanation of Grading System
A 4.00 grading system (A = 4.00) is used.  Prior to 1954-55 academic year, a 3.00 (A = 3.00) system was used.  The grading system utilizing plus (+) and minus (-) symbols was instituted Semester 1/1975-76.  All credits are semester hour credits.  Semester 1 is the fall term (September-December), Semester 2 is the spring term (January-May), Semester 3 is the Summer Sessions (May-August).

The transcript contains separate sections and cumulative statistics for courses and credit applied toward the following distinct curricular tracks: Associate Undergraduate, Undergraduate, and Flex Undergraduate.  The curricular track section will appear on the transcript if the student was active within that curricular track.  Courses and credit may appear in more than one curricular track section although cumulative statistics will only count the courses and credits listed within the respective section.  Courses and credits will apply toward the cumulative grade point average for each section as follows:

Curricular Track UWM Credit UW Colleges Transfer Credit Other Transfer Credit
Associate Undergraduate Included in GPA Included in GPA Not in GPA
Undergraduate Included in GPA Not in GPA Not in GPA
Flex Undergraduate Included in GPA

Included in GPA (if Associate program)

Not in GPA (if Bachelor program)

Not in GPA

Academic Actions
Academic actions (probation, dropped, etc.) have been records on the face of the undergraduate transcript during certain periods:

Milwaukee Normal School (1885-1927)
Milwaukee State Teachers College (1927-1951)
Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee (1951-1956)
UW-Milwaukee (1964-1971)

The action “Dean’s Honor List” has been posted on the face of transcripts, 1956-present.

Course Numbering System
The numbering system listed below is a general guide.  There may be some exceptions.

Course Number Description Notes
001-299 Undergraduate courses, introductory level. Not offered for graduate-level credit.
300-699 Undergraduate courses, intermediate to advanced level. May be approved for graduate-level credit.
700-999 Graduate level. Graduate standing is generally required for enrollment.

Year Code Definitions Prior to 2002

Code    Definition
1          Freshman
2          Sophomore
3          Junior
4          Senior
8          High School Special (non-degree)
9          Special Student undergraduate (non-degree)

Grades and Grade Points

Grade Description Grade Points Notes
A Excellent 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B Good 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C Fair 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D Poor 1.00
D- 0.67
F+ 0.00 Used prior to 2004 only.
F Fail 0.00
CREDIT Credit for credit/no credit enrollment only N/A Counts toward degree – does not count in GPA.
CR Credit for credit/no credit enrollment only N/A Counts toward degree – does not count in GPA.  Effective March, 2002.
DR Dropped with permission of dean N/A
E Fail N/A Used prior to 1998 only.
EI Extended Incomplete N/A
I Incomplete N/A
K Pass N/A Counts toward degree – does not count in GPA.  Used prior to 1998 only.
NR No report submitted N/A
P Progress N/A
PR Progress N/A UW Flexible Option only.
PI Permanent Incomplete N/A
S Satisfactory N/A
U Unsatisfactory N/A
W Withdrawn N/A Course dropped after 4th week of semester or after first quarter of shorter session.
WR Administrative drop N/A Enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats.
X Excused N/A Used prior to 1965 only.
Z Unofficial Drop N/A Used 1969-1971.  No grade reported.
DE, EX, M N/A Used prior to 1965.
NC Not completed (in audited course) or no credit (in C/NC course) N/A
#W Administrative drop N/A Enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats.  Effective March, 2002.

 UWM Enrollment Abbreviations and Symbols

Abbreviation/Symbol Description Notes
A Audit (no credit)
C Credit/No Credit
(D) Cultural Diversity course
H Honors Honors courses with grades of less than B- do not meet Honors Program requirements.
N Noncredit
P/F Pass/Fail
R Repeated course – counts in the semester and cumulative GPA totals if course carries credit
# Repeated course – does not count in the semester or cumulative GPA totals
@ Lapsed Incomplete
X Flexible Option Competency Set Appended to course number.

Transfer Credit Abbreviations and Symbols 

Abbreviation/Symbol Description Notes
> Credits do not count toward degree
+ Does not count in GPA
XXX Lower-level elective Before 2002
X Lower-level elective 2002-Present
XXN Lower-level elective – does not count toward student’s major Before 2002
XXXXZ Lower-level elective – does not count toward student’s major 2002-Present
3XX Upper-level elective Before 2002
U Upper-level elective 2002-Present
3XN Upper-level elective – does not count toward student’s major Before 2002
UXXXZ Upper-level elective – does not count toward student’s major 2002-Present