Office Phone: 414-229-4070
Cinema Phone: 414-229-5249
Since 1972 the Union Cinema has been providing UWM and the local community with a diverse, entertaining, and intellectually engaging film and video program. During the academic year, the Union Cinema offers first-run foreign, domestic, documentary and experimental films, as well as “cinema classics” from all over the world. The Cinema strives to help develop a broader understanding and appreciation of the universal language of film and is a vital and unique venue for film and video.
- All films and events are always free for current UWM Students with a valid Student I.D.
- Unless noted otherwise, all films shown at the Union Cinema are $5 per ticket.
- Special cases where the films are free for everyone include Experimental Tuesdays, certain Film Festivals such as The Festival of Films in French, Latin American Film Series, Italian Film Festival, African American Film Series, and other screenings as noted.
- Cinema Memberships are Available! Visit HERE for more details.
The UW-Milwaukee Union Cinema has been selected as one of the first 23 theaters recognized nationally as a Sundance Institute Art House Project theater. These theaters meet high standards including quality programming, deep involvement with their local communities, strong financial standing and recognition from their peers.
The Sundance Institute Art House Project began in 2004 as a partnership with art house cinemas nationwide to build audiences and develop a supportive community of theatre owners committed to independent film. The Sundance Institute, founded by actor/director/producer Robert Redford, expanded the project in 2015 to theaters across the country, that were already part of an existing collective of art-film organizations known as the Art House Convergence.
“The Sundance Institute Art House Project is the perfect collaboration for these two organizations working to enrich culture in North America”, states Art House Convergence representative Barbara Twist. For more information on Art House Convergence and the other theatre members, please visit here.
The Union Cinema prides itself on the films it shows, but it is the hardworking team in front and behind the scenes that make up the heart of the Union Cinema. When you visit the Union Cinema, feel free to talk to any of the staff about the films, because it is their mission to make each and every Union Cinema experience a memorable one.
You can reach the following staff at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Danie Murphy – Programmer
- David Kocik – Operations Manager
- Abbie Esterline – Marketing Coordinator
In a time where opportunities to watch a film print are few and far between, it is a conscious effort on the Union Cinema’s behalf to showcase 35mm and 16mm films. As film prints increasingly fall out of circulation there is a great effort put forth by our staff to acquire and program as many prints as possible. The participation in watching celluloid has gone from the norm and expected to a rare celebration sought out by film lovers. And it is with great privilege that we can provide that celebration and experience of watching a beautifully crafted and unfortunately now rare art form.
Student Union: 2200 E. Kenwood Blvd. Milwaukee, WI 53211
Office: Union Room 374
Cinema: 2nd Floor of the Union, east end of the building
Our hours of operation vary day to day depending on which films and how many films are showing.
We are typically open Tuesdays – Fridays starting at 6:30pm and Saturdays starting at 4:30pm.
These hours can change day to day however, so to see if we are open on any particular day, and at what time we are open that day, please visit our calendar and view our list of upcoming films.
- Street level parking is available near the Student Union along E. Kenwood Blvd. and N. Maryland Ave.
- Parking is available below the Student Union in the Student Union Parking Garage.
- For all current parking rates, please visit the UWM Parking and Transit webpage.
Union Cinema Supporters