For the Spring 2023 Funding Period(Fall 2022 Grant Process):
Last day to request quotes is Friday, October 21st at noon.
Grants are due by Friday, October 28th at noon.
Hearings will take place the weekend of Friday-Sunday, Nov 11-13th
If all goes well, you should receive an email about approved and denied grants by December 4th.
Hearing Timeline Spring 2023:
Hearings will take place the weekend of Friday-Sunday, Nov 11-13th. Hearings will begin at 12pm each day.
It is not mandatory to attend a hearing. If you choose to attend, please arrive on Friday between 12:00pm and 2:00pm–Grant Hearings will begin at approximately 1:00pm following a short training for committee members. Grant Applications will be reviewed in order of attendees, and once the attendee list is exhausted, alphabetically by org name.
Hearings will take place in Union 343
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Use the Table below for more detailed information about the SAC process
Welcome to SAC
What We Do
Each semester, the Student Appropriations Committee allocates roughly $200,000 of segregated fees to registered student organizations (RSOs). RSOs must ensure that they are properly registered with Student Involvement in order to apply for these grants! The link to apply for grants through Presence will be announced soon. If you have any questions throughout the grant application process, please email email@example.com.
If you’re interested in joining SAC, please fill out the Shared Governance committee form on Presence!
SA → Student Association
SAC → Student Appropriations Committee
RSO → Registered Student Organization
SI → Student Involvement
Training & Resources
Training & Resources
- Link to Virtual Training (Does not count for training requirement)
- Guiding Policies:
- Get quotes:
- Grant Applications:
- Log in
- Click on the person icon in the top right
- In the drop down menu, select “Admin Dashboard”
- Once the page is loaded, go to the menu on the left and select “Finance”
- *Note: Only RSO Officers have access to this*
- Scroll down to “Create a new one” under Budget
- Create a sub-budget for EACH grant
- Be sure to have a specific title for each sub-budget that includes the semester to be used, the type of grant, and your organization name
- Return to your organization’s finance page
- Go to the upper right corner, click “Create Transaction” and then “Allocation”
- For detailed instructions, see the SAC Spring 2022 Funding Period Training powerpoint linked above
Do's and Don'ts of SAC
What does your RSO need funding for?
- SAC will not fund anything where a free alternative on campus exists.
- Additionally, SAC will not fund anything for an academic, personal, political, commercial gain, or anything not in accordance with UW-System Administrative Policy 820.
What we fund…*
- Union Event Services
- Room Costs
- Equipment Rentals
- University Union Staff Services
- Marketing through Union Marketing
- Flyers, Posters, Banners, Printing
- Promotional Items (Under $5 each)
- Performers and Lecturers
- Guests and Artists
- Tools and Equipment
- Travel Costs
- Hotels and Airfare
- Rental Vehicles and Admissions
- Items specific to RSO needs and mission
*This is not an exhaustive list, but rather a list of the most common items we fund.
What we do NOT fund…**
- Helium Tanks
- Honorariums with a conflict of interest
- Gifts to UWM Faculty or Staff
- Gifts, Donations, or Contributions
- Individual Membership Dues
- Computers, Laptops, or Tablets (where a free alternative exists)
- Printers or Ink Cartridges
- Paper Shredders
- Improvements to Space
- Cleaning Products
- Dry Erase Boards
- Chalk Boards
- Office Decorations
- Alcohol or Drugs
- Personal Items ***
- Clothing and Uniforms
- Personalized Name Tags
- Personalized Business Cards
- Study Aides
- Anything with a Free Alternative
Acceptable Forms of Justification
- PDF Documents
- Any other NON-EDITABLE Document
Unacceptable Forms of Justification
- Word Documents (unless used to compile screenshots/snips)
- List Prices from UWM Websites
- Emails (unless submitted as a screenshot)
- Any other EDITABLE Document
Any use of unacceptable forms of justification will result in portions of your grant being denied.
**This is not an exhaustive list, but rather a list of the most common items we do not fund.
***Any items funded by a SAC grant must have a designated spot to remain on campus.***
(Optional)Grant Hearing Process
Grant Hearing Process
(Optional) Attend your grant hearing date. Don’t be late! Plan to have at least two people attend. Present and defend your grant. Why is it relevant to your RSO and its mission? What are the goals for the funding?
The committee will vote on the spot regarding your grant.
Finalizing Budget Requests. Once SAC has completed all grant hearings, they will determine whether or not they can fund every RSO’s grant in entirety. If a cut needs to be made, it will be made equally to every grant request for that semester.
Hearing back from SAC. Once finalized, each RSO will hear back from SAC regarding the total amount they have been allocated for each grant.
At the end of your hearing, your grant(s) will be tentatively approved at a certain amount.
What to do after the hearing?
- After you receive your email from SAC, log in to Presence and view your approved budget.
If you requested an Event Grant…
- Schedule a meeting with your Student Involvement Liaison at least 6 weeks prior to your event date.
- Completed contract paperwork must be turned in to the SI office at least 30 days prior to your event. Any person(s), including honorariums, being paid for a service, performance, or to speak, must be paid by contract.
If you requested an Operations Grant…
- RSOs purchasing items will need to complete an inventory agreement form (available in the SI office) and are subject to a yearly audit.
- Be sure to make all orders via the “Student Organization Expenditure Form” found in Engage.
If you requested a Travel Grant…
- Schedule a meeting with the Student Involvement Business Manager at least 21 business days prior to departure to make travel arrangements. The SI Business office will book ALL TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS.
- For Events and Operations grants, contact Union Marketing Services to use your marketing quotes.
- For all grants, the SI office will place all orders and make all payments.
- Reimbursements for anything are not allowed.
- Be prepared with any relevant information concerning your requests such as budget, designs, and purpose.
Important contact info
Questions on the grant process?
Student Appropriations Committee
Location: Student Union Suite EG79J
Planning an Event on Campus?
Union Event Services
Location: Student Union Suite 300C
Need a Marketing Quote?
Location: Student Union WG50
Need a Catering Quote?
Location: Moved due to construction
Spending Any of Your Grant or Making Travel Plans?
Location: Student Union 363
The previous 2 years of committee documents can be found HERE as is required by the University Records Retention Timeline. For any further information please file a Public Records Request with the OAC firstname.lastname@example.org.