Addressing Food Insecurity Among College Students
During Fall 2016, the Student Association (SA) conducted a campus wide survey addressing food insecurity. From those survey results (see here), we learned that roughly 50% of UWM students report not having enough food to eat. For some, this might seem like a surprising statistic, but for half of the UWM student population, this is their reality.
Since then, SA has hosted events engaging students, faculty, and administration around addressing this issue. SA helped assemble a group of UWM students, student organizations, centers, and staff to start planning a food pantry that opened on the third floor of the Union starting in January 2018. Through these efforts, we have raised almost $1500 through the “round up program,” $6500 through direct monetary donations to the foundation account, and over 2,100 lbs of food through food drives. Many thanks to those of you who have contributed thus far!
Hours of Operation
The UWM Food Center and Pantry will be open every Monday from 4:30pm-8:30pm and every Thursday 9:00am-6:00pm for the Spring 2019 semester.
For patrons that cannot access the pantry during these days, you can go to the Dean of Students office, Inclusive Excellence Center, LGBT Resource Center or Student Association office to get key access.
How to Donate & Support
The UWM Food Center and Pantry are always looking for non-perishable food items and toiletries. To the left is a list of much-needed donations we are always accepting.
- Make a one time or recurring money donation through UWM’s online giving form (found here) . Under designation, select “Other” and type in “UWM Food Pantry” or “UWM Foundation Account #83180”
- Round up your transaction to the nearest dollar at any register in the Union or Sandburg Hall.
- Drop off check donations to the Student Association office (Union EG79) or Student Association Profession Staff (SAPS) office (Union WG10). Make check payable to “UWM Foundation,” and please write “UWM Foundation Account #83180” in the memo.
- Drop off non-perishable food in our permanent donation bin locations:
- Student Association office (Union EG79)
- Dean of Students office (Union 346)
- UWM Athletics Pavilion Lobby (3409 N. Downer Ave.)
- Engineering and Mathematical Sciences Building (EMS E386)
We are always looking for students to serve on various functional teams to help with the strategic planning of the UWM Food Center and Pantry. Functional teams include: Food Drive and Fundraising; Outreach and Program Development; Marketing and Communications. We are also looking for food pantry volunteers. If you are interested in getting involved, please email email@example.com.
Fresh Picks Mobile Market
We have begun hosting the Hunger Task Force Fresh Picks Mobile Market, which offers fresh produce, meat, and dairy items at a discount. The Market is on the UWM Campus at the corner of Kenwood Blvd. and Maryland Ave. on the following Thursdays: February 7th, March 7th, April 11th, and May 9th. The market accepts debit cards, credit cards and Quest EBT.
If you have questions, please email UWM Food Center and Pantry at firstname.lastname@example.org
To receive monthly email updates about the pantry subscribe here.