What is Renewal?
Renewal is when Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) re-register for the upcoming academic year. In order to keep RSO status, all student organizations must meet all of the requirements before September 28, 2023 at noon!
Renewal Registration begins on August 1, 2023
About the Public Renewal Tracker: The tracker displays information on where an organization is in the renewal registration process at a particular moment in time. The tracker is not automated. It compiles information from four different systems but the reports for each system are done manually. Student Involvement will publish updated tracker information each Monday in August by 12:00pm. In September, reports will be published on Monday, Wednesday and Friday by 12:00pm. Public Renewal Tracker 2023
Changes and new tools for renewal: Here are a few of the changes that have been made to renewal this year based on student feedback and new feature availability.
Organization Transition Tool: This Presence tool will make it easier to reach the current organization registration form and make the necessary updates to it. It will also allow for changes in the organization roster all in one process. Once approved, new officers will automatically get basic administrative access to their organization in Presence.
Renewal Self Tracking for Student Organizations: Organization officers can work together to track the organization renewal status at any time. Instructions on how to create your organization self tracking data is here: Renewal Self Tracking for Student Organizations
Timeline: The following timeline has been established to guide organization through the renewal process in a timely manner. Your organization officers should do there best to at least keep up with the timeline. Ideally, the renewal process could be completed weeks before the deadline.
August 1 Renewal Begins
September 7 Org Kick-Off event
September 13 First Priority Renewal, Involvement Fair
September 19 Last day to start renewal (submit Transition Form)
September 21 Student Organization Conference Night
September 28 Renewal ends at 12:00pm
Renewal: Step-By-Step Process
- ANNUAL ORG RENEWAL – due no later than September 28th, 2023 at NOON:
- Update Officer, roster and Organization Information using the Presence Transition tool.
- Officer Onboarding on the Student Organization Training Portal
- Go through the Officer Training PowerPoint in detail, take the Officer Training Quiz in the Training Portal, and get an 80% to complete your Officer Onboarding. Once you’ve received an 80% on the quiz, head to Presence to complete your Officer Contract. Each of the 4 Primary Officers must complete the training, receive 80%, AND individually submit an Officer Contract in order to be considered eligible for officer status.
- Advisor Contract
- This Presence form must be submitted by your Faculty/Staff Advisor to confirm that they will serve as your Advisor for the coming academic year.
- Student Organization Conference Night (SOCN), Thursday, September 21, 2023
- Your organization is required to identify at least one officer to attend this in-person event. The best practice is to identify two officers who can attend. Attendance by at least one officer is a required step in the Org Renewal process. Please request off from work for this once-a-year event. The event includes organization support information tables, workshops and opportunities to meet with your organization liaison and discuss future funding. The event will take place in the UWM Union from 3:30-7:00pm with an optional SAC Grant session beginning at 7:00pm.
- Complete the 2023 SOCN attendance confirmation form as soon as possible to let us know who is attending from your organization. If all officers are unavailable for this event, the confirmation form provides information for meeting this requirement.
- A make-up session will be available by invitation only for those organizations that notified Student Involvement that they were unable to send an officer. See the bullet point above and complete the attendance confirmation form to notify Student Involvement of your situation.
- Tip: Student feedback on this program has been that participating has significantly improved their effectiveness as an officer. As a result, we recommend that every officer utilize this resource to make your year easier and your org leadership experience better.
- For more information, visit the SOCN page in the Leadership Program page:
What Could Hold My RSO Back from Getting Renewed?
- Data Errors
- Be sure you have entered each officer’s name, email and phone number correctly. Simple errors cause delays.
- Chances are your RSO does not have debt, but all organization debt must be resolved before an organization can renew.
- Name Changes
- If you try to alter your Registered Student Organization’s (RSO) name when updating your Organization Profile, this will complicate your progress on the Road to Renewal. If your RSO wants to change its official name, please contact Student Involvement at email@example.com.
An organization that previously operated at UWM but is now inactive must apply with Student Involvement to reactivate the group.
This involves the same steps as updating your Organization Registration. However, the students who want to reactivate the inactive organization may want to obtain copies of any governing documents, previous organization paperwork, or other important documents Student Involvement.
New and inactive organizations should use the Organization Registration Process to register their organization.