UWM GROW (Guided Reflection on Work)*
What is it?
The UWM GROW* (Guided Reflection on Work) uses brief, structured conversations between student employees and their supervisors to help make the learning that is occurring through student employment more “visible” to the students. The four key questions I will ask to facilitate this conversation:
- How is this job fitting in with your academics?
- What are you learning here at work that is helping you in your academics?
- What are you learning in your coursework that you can apply here at work?
- Provide examples of things that you are learning here at work or skills that you are developing that can be applied to your anticipated career.
These conversations will occur in both December and May.
The goals of UWM GROW:
- Helping students make meaningful connections between what they’re learning in the classroom and what they’re learning during employment.
- Helping students make a connection between their job and their future career.
- Helping the student recognize the importance of reflection and how to facilitate that process.
*We are using the trademark by permission of the University of Iowa (IOWA GROW ®).
Interested in learning more about the program? Contact Gina Tagliapietra Nicoli @ email@example.com.