UWM GROW (Guided Reflection on Work)*
What is it?
The UWM GROW* (Guided Reflection on Work) uses brief, structured conversations between student employees and their supervisors to help make the learning that is occurring through student employment more “visible” to the students. The four key questions I will ask to facilitate this conversation:
- Why did you seek out this student employment position?
- What are you learning here at work that is helping you in school?
- What are you learning in class that you can apply here at work?
- Provide a couple examples of things that you are learning here at work that you will be using in your future profession,
These conversations will occur in both December 2018 and May 2019.
The goals of UWM GROW:
- Helping students make meaningful connections between what they’re learning in the classroom and what they’re learning during employment.
- Helping students make a connection between their job and their future career.
- Helping students recognize and articulate the transferable skills they are learning and using at work.
- Helping the student recognize the importance of reflection and how to facilitate that process.
- Fostering and supporting the supervisor/employee relationship.
*We are using the trademark by permission of the University of Iowa (IOWA GROW ®).
Resources for the first informational meeting to occur by October 19
Resources for the first GROW conversation to occur by the end of the fall and spring semesters: