Nonprofit Ethics and Compliance
Because they rely on the public’s trust, nonprofit organizations must adhere to the highest ethical standards; even a hint of impropriety could jeopardize a nonprofit’s reputation, its fundraising, and eventually its mission. At the same time, nonprofits with 501 (c)(3) status must be scrupulous in their compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. This course provides a detailed introduction to nonprofit ethics and compliance, examining a range of topics including: mission and vision statements; governance policies; conflicts of interest; fundraising ethics; IRS compliance; state laws and regulations; and the role of the compliance officer. This self-paced course, filled with videos and interactive case studies, will help you understand one of the most important areas of nonprofit management.
This course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible, usually within 24 hours.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Explain why nonprofit organizations are often held to higher ethical standards than for-profit corporations
- Identify the key ethical issues that nonprofits need to address
- Distinguish between mission, vision and values statements
- Discuss the key elements of an organizational ethics code
- Articulate key ethical principles as they apply to nonprofit fundraising
- Identify the four different types of conflict-of-interest
- Name the steps in establishing a transparent executive compensation process
- Explain the three duties that nonprofit board members must follow
- Identify the key governance policies that nonprofits should adopt
- Explain the provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act that apply to nonprofits
- Explain why nonprofit organizations should adopt a social media policy
- Name the major duties of a compliance officer
- Identify the major IRS requirements for 501(c)(3) organizations
- List the major areas in which nonprofit organizations must comply with state laws
- Name the major areas in which nonprofit organizations may need to comply with local laws
- Explain the concept of “compliance with the community”
- Badge and credit-awarding
- Games and flashcards
- Video content
- Real-world case studies
- Audio-enabled in app
This course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
This course does not require any additional purchase of supplementary materials.
You must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEUs. You will have three attempts at all graded assessments.