Leadership in a Nonprofit Organization
What is leadership? Why is it important? What is required to be a nonprofit leader? Consider the foundations of leadership, and examine how to be a successful and effective nonprofit leader.
This course can be applied to the Introductory Nonprofit Certificate.
This course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible, usually within 24 hours.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended for adults seeking to gain a basic understanding of leadership in a nonprofit setting. It is best suited for learners with a basic understanding of nonprofit organizations.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Define leadership and explain its importance
- Distinguish between some of the better-known leadership theories (Fieldler’s contingency theory; Path-goal theory; Vroom-Yetton-Jago theory)
- Distinguish leadership from management and administration
- Explain the role of ethics in leadership
- Identify the positives and negatives surrounding the charismatic leadership
- Recognize the importance of training, learning and role-playing in leadership
- Describe the impending leadership shortage in the non-profit sector and discuss possible solutions to the problem
- Discuss the seven bases for leadership
- Explain why formal authority alone does not guarantee leadership
- Explain leadership issues that are especially important in the nonprofit environment
- Discuss the nine key qualities for leadership
- Describe the leadership qualities that nonprofit leaders feel are important for success
- Identify the five central skills needed for effective leadership and explain ways to strengthen or develop those skills in a leader
This workshop is self-paced and online. You will have access to this workshop for 30 days. Upon successful completion, you will receive a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, School of Continuing Education completion verification.
Learners must score an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit.
Date: Open enrollment – Register anytime
Delivery Method: On-Demand Online
Instructor: Online Expert Instruction
Enrollment Limit: 100
Program Number: 7350-14894
Registration Deadline: June 30