Introduction to Grant Writing
Learn the basics of grant writing, an increasingly crucial method for raising money to fund projects and programs for nonprofits and other organizations. This course explores the relationship of grant writing to an organization’s strategy for fundraising. It also outlines the six stages of grant writing and highlights best practices.
Participants must achieve an average test score of at least 70 percent to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit. Participants will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
This course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible, usually within 24 hours.
Who Should Attend
This suite is intended for adults seeking to gain a basic understanding of nonprofit management.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the importance of grant writing to nonprofits and other organizations seeking funding
- Describe how capital grants and endowment grants can be integrated into fundraising efforts including matching funds
- Explain how grant writing and fundraising represent complimentary methods of ensuring a nonprofit’s financial stability
- Outline the six stages of the grant writing process
- Discuss the process of identifying and establishing a need for funding (Stage One)
- Describe how to research grantmakers and available grants (Stage Two)
- Explain the process of establishing relationships with potential funders (Stage Three)
- Discuss the importance of alignment between a nonprofit and a funder’s mission (Stage Four)
- Outline the grant writing process (Stage Five)
- Explore tools and techniques employed in writing the grant proposal
- Explain how a nonprofit should follow-up after winning or losing a grant award (Stage Six)
- Outline best practices for grant writing
- Apply your understanding of the grant writing process to case studies covering the six stages
This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
This course has an “Ask the Expert” feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.