The Business and Technology Department at the School of Continuing Education offers professional development programs on business topics spanning Project Management, Human Resources, Management and Leadership Development, Digital Marketing, the school’s Women Leaders Conference and more. The department runs 350 courses a year, serves 3,000 participants and has revenues of some $2 million. This includes programs delivered through our customized sales group, which includes training that can be designed to meet specific needs of organizations, delivered at their site or ours.
This position supports the Management and Leadership Development and Digital Marketing program areas, working for the director of these programs. Main responsibilities include a focus on serving customers in registering for courses, tracking participant certificates, managing CRM, and managing accounts receivable. This position provides back-up for opening classes and preparing materials for instructors and requires working closely with the director and other department staff.
This position is part-time, 20 hours a week, with specific hours to be determined. The School of Continuing Education is located on the 6th and 7th floors of the Plankinton Building, 161 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee. Hourly pay range: $12 to $13 an hour, dependent on qualifications and experience. There are no benefits associated with this position.
Goals and Work Activities
This position performs a variety of tasks related to supporting non-credit programming for UWM’s SCE and specifically the Business Program areas. This position interacts with staff, instructors and participants and qualified individuals must possess strong customer-service skills.
CUSTOMER SERVICE DUTIES – 75 percent
- Identify and assess customers’ needs to achieve satisfaction. Provide accurate, valid and complete information by using the right methods/tools
- Build relationships of trust with participants through open and interactive communication
- Work with participants to assist them in registering, changing or cancelling courses and other attendance-related topics by email and telephone
- Reach out to customers to verify course attendance and other customer-related topics
- Track status of participants seeking certificates. Follow up with participant after courses and offer suggestions for next steps
- Assist in opening courses
- Assist in maintaining information in department’s CRM system
- Take incoming requests and funnel to proper programs
PROGRAM DUTIES – 20 percent
- Coordinate travel for instructors
- Manage AR for all programs
- Back up other Program Assistant to set up classes in the registration system, create course evaluation and reports, work with instructors and contracts, lab set ups, materials, book orders and other duties as needed
OTHER – 5 percent
- Other duties and special project and requests as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Proven customer-support experience
- Ability to act independently and take initiative when appropriate
- Strong phone skills and active listening
- Knowledge of telephone and email etiquette
- Familiarity with CRM systems and practices
- Customer orientation and ability to adapt/respond to different types of people
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively
- Ability to work in a team environment
- High school degree
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION: Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references. Your cover letter and resume must address your qualifications, experience and knowledge as it specifically relates to the duties and responsibilities of the position as well as why you are interested in applying for this position. Completed application materials may be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pamela R Nellen
UWM School of Continuing Education
161 W Wisconsin Ave. Suite 6000
Milwaukee, WI 53203