Before You Enroll

Before enrollment opens every term, it is important for you to make sure you will be eligible to enroll.  Please log into PAWS, and check the following items:

  • HOLDS – View this section in the upper right hand corner of your PAWS Student Center. You can click the blue details link to view a full list of your holds. Click on the name of the hold in blue to read the instructions for removal. If you have trouble understanding your next steps, you will also find contact information for the department that placed the hold so that you can ask for help.  The most common reasons for enrollment holds are a past due balance with the Bursar’s Office or a requirement that you meet with your academic advisor prior to enrolling.
  • ENROLLMENT APPOINTMENT – View this section in the right hand column of your PAWS Student Center.  The day/time that’s listed indicates the point at which you can begin enrolling in classes for the specified term.  To learn more about how and when enrollment appointment are assigned, please visit the enrollment appointments page.  You can only enroll while the term is open, following this general schedule:
    • Fall term opens in April
    • UWinteriM opens in October
    • Spring term opens in November
    • Summer term opens in March/April
  • TO DO LIST – View this section in the right hand column of your PAWS Student Center.  Every fall and spring semester, you will need to complete the Panther Enrollment Checklist, which provides you with critical enrollment-related information along with a way to update and confirm your contact information prior to enrolling for classes.  You will receive an email at your campus ( email address in early November (spring enrollment) and in early April (fall enrollment) that indicates the Panther Enrollment Checklist is available on your PAWS account.
Instructions for Completing the Panther Enrollment Checklist

To complete the checklist, students click on the Panther Enrollment Checklist link in the To Do List section of their PAWS account, and work through the onscreen steps (see detailed screenshots):

Review the information on the Launch page, click Mark As Read, and then click Next.

If updates to Addresses need to be made, enter the changes by clicking Edit or Add A New Address.  Once that is completed, or if no changes are needed, click Mark As Read and then Next.

If updates to Phone Numbers need to be made, enter the changes by clicking Edit or Add A Phone Number.  Once that is completed, or if no changes are needed, click Mark As Read and then Next.

If updates to Emergency Contacts need to be made, enter the changes by clicking Edit or Add An Emergency Contact.  Once that is completed, or if no changes are needed, click Mark As Read and then Next.

Review the information on the Complete page, then click Finish.  This will immediately release the Panther Enrollment Checklist enrollment hold.

Students will receive a confirmation email at their campus ( email address after the checklist is completed.  This email includes important dates and deadlines for enrolling in the upcoming semester.

Any questions or concerns can be directed to the Registrar’s Office Contact Form.


  • PREREQUISITES, PLACEMENTS, and POLICIES – It is important that you make sure you have met the requirements to enroll in your individual courses.  Please review the prerequisites for these courses, as well as the course placement and various other policies below that relate to enrollment at UWM.  These include policies on academic load, class standing, and course repeats among other things.

Many courses have prerequisites that you are expected to satisfy prior to enrollment. Typical examples include a certain year in school (“Junior Standing”), other specific courses (“Physics 201”), a particular placement test score, admission to a particular major, or consent of the instructor.Instructors have the right to enforce prerequisite requirements and may deny or permit enrollment accordingly.

Certain courses cannot be taken out of sequence. You can always check the prerequisites of a course ahead of time to find out if you’ll lose credit for taking a course out of sequence.

If you do not meet the prerequisites for a specific course but feel that you are academically prepared to take the course anyway, you can request permission from the course instructor or department. Generally, if you do not meet prerequisites for a class you will not be able to enroll yourself in it using PAWS. In this case, you will receive an error message stating that consent or permission is required.

If you do not meet a course prerequisite but have been able to enroll anyway, you may be administratively dropped from the course or you may be required to drop the course.

  • Drop a course as soon as you know you can’t remain in the class. It is the student’s responsibility to drop any classes for which they do not meet published prerequisites.
  • Do not wait for the department to complete an administrative drop, as fees for dropped classes are based on the date you drop the class in PAWS or the date your drop form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

If a course requires one or more prerequisites, details are listed in the notes section in the Schedule of Classes or under the class description in PAWS.

Prerequisite Abbreviations
(P) Prerequisite A course in which a student is required to earn credit prior to being allowed to enroll in a subsequent higher-level course.
(NP) Non-repeatable Prerequisite A prerequisite course for which the student is not permitted to substitute the grade earned when the course is repeated subsequent to earning credit in the higher-level course.
(C) Co-requisite A course which may be taken as either a prerequisite or as a concurrent registration with the higher-level course.
(NC) Non-repeatable Co-requisite A co-requisite course for which the student is not permitted to substitute the grade earned when the course is repeated subsequent to earning credit in the higher-level course
(R) Recommended Course A course which the instructor strongly recommends be taken prior to enrollment in a subsequent course.
(ER) Enrollment Restriction A course which is not open for enrollment to students that have earned credits in a specified course (or courses) with similar or overlapping content.
Course Placement
Although many courses are open to freshmen and all other students, core courses in the areas of English and Math require a placement that serves as your starting point in the course sequence. Your math and English placements are typically determined by scores on ACT/SAT, placement assessments, or prior college credit that you earned in the subject area at another institution or through advanced standing exams, like AP or IB.

Math and English Placement Options:

  1. Submit your ACT or SAT scores to UW Milwaukee.
      • If you have already submitted your ACT/SAT scores with your application, you do not need to submit them again.
      • If you have not submitted your ACT/SAT scores, you can request those scores be sent directly to UWM from ACT or SAT.
      • If you have a copy of your ACT/SAT scores, UW Milwaukee also has an online form to report your test scores.


  2. Use our free online placement tools. You do not need to schedule these online tests in advance. You can take them any time it is convenient for you.
    • Math – Panther Math Prep is a free online placement tool that allows you to assess your current math skill level and receive a course placement via an online proctored math placement test in a platform called ALEKS. You have the opportunity to utilize the free prep, review, and practice tools within ALEKS to build and refresh your math skills and take a placement test up to five times.
      For more information or to complete the online math placement test, visit the Panther Math Prep website.
    • English – UWM offers a free online placement option called Guided English Placement (GEP). The GEP is not a standardized test and there are no right or wrong answers. You will be asked a variety of questions about your educational experiences, writing and reading skills, and academic mindset. You will also be given reading and writing samples to reflect upon; no writing is required from you. The GEP takes about 30-60 minutes to complete.
      For more information or to complete the online English placement, visit the Guided English Placement website.

World Language Placement
Placement into an initial world language course is determined by assessing your previous course experience. UWM also offers a free online UWM World Languages Placement Survey in 16 languages to help you assess which course is most appropriate for you to begin your studies. You can take this survey online at any time; it takes 5 minutes to complete. Together you and your advisor can use the UWM World Languages Placement Survey and your transcripts to place you in the best language class for your level, or help you meet with a languages coordinator to confirm your placement. You are not required to complete a world language survey before enrolling in your first language course; however, we strongly recommend it as it sets you up for success by being enrolled in the most appropriate course for you.

Chemistry Placement
Placement into an initial chemistry course is based on current math level and previous chemistry coursework.


UW Milwaukee does not accept the results from the current UW System online placement tests. Students with UW System placement test results from 2019 or earlier are allowed to submit those scores for placement.

New incoming freshmen must satisfy a course placement requirement before they are able to register for their New Student Orientation session. Incoming freshmen should visit our freshman placement website to learn about their options for satisfying the course placement requirement.

Incoming transfer and re-entry students should consult with their academic advisor to determine if they need to complete any course placement steps.

You can view placement records by selecting “Placement Tests” in the drop-down in the Academics section of your PAWS account. Placement levels are determined by the academic department affiliated with the exam and are reviewed annually. If you have multiple sets of test scores that have earned you course placement, you are allowed to use whichever method gives you the higher placement when enrolling in courses.

Contact Information

UW Milwaukee Main Campus

UW-Milwaukee at Washington County

UW-Milwaukee at Waukesha

Math Placement

Regardless of your major, all UWM students need to satisfy a general education requirement in mathematics. The math course(s) required to attain your degree vary by major.

Math placement is determined by the math score on your ACT/SAT, prior college credit earned in math courses, or by completing an ALEKS placement test via the online Panther Math Prep program.

The Math Department maintains information on Math Placement levels and codes including information on math course recommendations by major.

Math Placement Chart for Main and Branch Campuses*
*This chart is effective beginning with those admitted for Summer/Fall 2021. Students admitted prior to Summer/Fall 2021, should consult with their academic advisor.

ACT Math Score SAT Math Score ALEKS Score Placement Level Course Eligibility
Main & Branch Campuses
0-17 0-489 0-21 0 92 or 94
18-23 490-569 22-45 10 98, 103, 111
24-27 570-669 46-60 20 103, 105, 111, 116, 175
28-31 670-719 61-67
*Level 35
30 115, 116, 117, 175, 205, 211, S215
QLA Satisfied
32-33 720-759 76-86 40 175, 205, 211, 213, S215, 231
QLA & 115 satisfied
34-36 760-800 87-100 45 175, 205, 211, 213, S215, 221, 231
QLA & 115 satisfied
English Placement - Native Speakers

In order to graduate, all UW-Milwaukee students must satisfy the General Education Requirements (GER). English placement is determined by the English or ERWS score on your ACT/SAT, prior college credit earned in math courses, or by completing the online Guided English Placement. The scores on these tests place you into courses that will satisfy your General Education Requirement (GER) known as the Oral and Written Communication (OWC) Competency Part A. To satisfy this requirement; a student must earn credit with a grade of C or higher in English 102 or achieve an appropriate test score to satisfy the requirement. Students placing into English 100 or 101 will need to complete that course with a grade of C or higher (you only need to complete either English 100 or 101, not both courses) then complete English 102. Students testing into English 102 will need to complete that course with a grade of C or higher. Students with a sufficient score will test out of having to complete English 100, 101, or 102.

English Placement Chart – Main Campus

Course Placement Main Campus ACT English Score SAT ERWS
English 100 1-16 200-460
English 101 17-24 461-590
English 102 25-28 591-650
Test Out/GER OWC Part A satisfied 29-36 651-800

English Placement Chart – Branch Campuses

Course Placement Branch Campuses ACT English Score SAT ERWS
CGS ENG 98 1-16 200-460
CGS ENG 101 + CGS ENG 99 17-18 461-500
CGS ENG 101 19-24 501-590
CGS ENG 102 25-28 591-650
CGS can inquire about portfolio to satisfy core requirement or enroll in CGS ENG 102 29-36 651-800
English Placement - Non-Native Speakers

As a non-native speaker and/or writer of English, you can complete your English writing requirement by taking English for Academic Purposes (EAP) writing courses instead of the English writing courses designed for native speakers of English. The support provided in the EAP writing courses can also help you do better in all of your university courses. Recommendations for EAP course enrollment can be made based off of scores on the ACT, SAT, IETLS, TOEFL, and/or Guided English Placement (GEP).

For more information on EAP courses, contact Brooke Haley at or visit her office in Curtin Hall 678.

Foreign Language Placement

Foreign language course enrollment recommendations are based on either previous college credit earned or years of high school coursework

UW-Milwaukee has a General Education Requirement for foreign language. If you have met this requirement then completing additional foreign language coursework is optional. Students planning to pursue a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree through the College of Letters and Science may be required to complete foreign language coursework beyond the University’s General Education Requirement.  Please check the list of majors that fall under the B.A. requirements to determine the foreign language requirement you will need to meet to graduate. Click here for more information on the Bachelor of Arts degree requirements.

French Placement

High School Coursework French Course Placement
1 year 103
2 years 104
3 years 203
4 years 204
Successfully completed a French 5 or AP French 303

Students cannot move up or down a level from this placement, but the French department will run a diagnostic test in the first week of classes to let students know if they should move in either direction. 

German Placement

High School Coursework German Course Placement
1 year 102
2 years 203
3 years 204
4+ years 331 or 332

Students may move up or down one course at their discretion (e.g. down if they’ve not taken the language in a few years, or up if they’ve done intense self-study or extra-curricular such as extended travel to/living in a German-speaking country).

Spanish Placement

High School Coursework Spanish Course Placement
1 year 103
2 years 104
3 years 203
4+ years 204

Students may move up or down a level from these courses, depending on how long it’s been since their last Spanish class, whether or not they feel prepared for the course, etc.

If you studied a language in high school other than Spanish, French, or German, and you wish to continue your study of that language; you should contact that department directly for information on how to place higher than the level one introduction course.

Chemistry Placement

Chemistry placement is based on a combination of math placement level and performance in high school chemistry. Academic advisors will assess student records and use course permission to enroll students.

Other Placement-Related Testing
College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

CLEP is a series of examinations that allow individuals to earn college credit for what they already know. This test is internet-based and score reports are available upon completion of the exam. Students can find more information on test content, cost, registration, and test location on CLEP’s website. Information on earning UWM credit through the CLEP exam can be found on the One Stop website.

Enrollment Policies
Below are various policies that relate to your enrollment in courses at UWM.
Academic Credit Load
The below chart provides status determinations used by federal, state, or private agencies. In order to be reported as fully-enrolled for a term, a student must be enrolled as of the day after the add deadline in that term. Prior to the add deadline, students are considered registered but not fully enrolled.

Fall/Spring Semester Credit Totals
Student Full Time Half Time Less Than Half
Undergraduates 12 or more 6-11 1-5
Graduates 8 or more 4-7 1-3
Summer Session Credit Totals
Undergraduates 6 or more 3-5 1-2
Graduates 6 or more 3-5 1-2

Teaching or program/project assistants that are employed at 1/3 or more time and enrolled for six or more credits during the fall and spring semesters are usually considered full time graduate students.

During each fall and spring semester until their dissertation is accepted by the Graduate School, doctoral students must be enrolled for either three graduate-level dissertation or research credits at the current per-credit dissertator rate. During any summers in which a doctoral student uses university facilities or faculty time, is a fellow or research assistant, or plans to graduate, the doctoral student must register for no more than three graduate level credits (dissertator rate) in the regular eight-week summer session.

Status & Financial Aid
Eligibility for veterans’ benefits and other types of aid may be based on different credit load requirements. AOC undergraduates are not considered full-time unless enrolled for 12 or more credits. English 90/95 and Math 90/95 will each be treated as the equivalent of a 3-credit class.

All students’ enrollment status for summer is defined to be the same as their fall/spring semester status. Department of Education rules require that the same credit load standards apply for spring, fall and summer session loan deferment verifications. Therefore, for undergraduates, an enrollment of at least six credits (half time enrollment) is required for loan deferment verification purposes for the summer session.

All status determinations and requirements are published through the Financial Aid Office.

Academic Credit Overloads

Maximum credit loads have been established for each term. Undergraduates who enroll beyond the max credit load will be assessed extra tuition above the normal full-time rate.

  • Fall or Spring terms: 18 credits in all schools and colleges, except Fine Arts (18 credits or three studio courses). The fall and spring registration limit in PAWS is 18 credits.
  • Summer term: 12 credits during the full term duration, but no more than four credits during any sessions less than or equal to four weeks. The summer enrollment limit in PAWS is 12 credits.
  • UWinteriM: 3 credits during the full term duration. The UWinteriM enrollment limit in PAWS is 3 credits. Due to the short duration of the term, overloads are generally not permitted during UWinteriM.

If an undergraduate student wishes to overload (take credits beyond the established maximum loads), they may request permission from their school or college advising office. Approval for overload does not waive any course prerequisites or permit enrollment in closed classes.

Graduate students may not register for more than 12 graduate credits in a Fall or Spring semester or 9 graduate credits in the eight-week Summer Session or a total of 12 graduate credits in all sessions between the conclusion of a Spring semester and the beginning of a fall semester. Audit, sport/recreation and colloquium seminar credits are not counted when determining a graduate student’s credit load.

If you are taking undergraduate certification coursework, are making up deficiencies, or have exceptional circumstances resulting in special hardship, you must appeal to Graduate Student Services for permission to carry more than the maximum credit load.

If you’re a doctoral student classified as a dissertator, you must be enrolled for three graduate-level credits (at the current dissertator rate) each semester until your doctoral dissertation is filed in the Golda Meir Library. The only number of credits for which a dissertator may register is three.

Approval for overload does not waive any course prerequisites or permit enrollment in closed classes. Forms must be submitted to Mellencamp 274 after the student’s initial registration appointment time, and will be processed by Registrar’s Office staff.

Administrative Drops

You may be administratively dropped from one or more of your classes in these situations:

  • If you enroll without permission in a class that you don’t meet the prerequisites for
  • If you don’t show up for the first week of class and don’t notify anyone
  • If you ever fail to meet the class attendance policy

Administrative Drops are initiated at the discretion of the department that is offering the course or by the course instructor. Departments and instructors have the right to enforce class prerequisite and attendance policies and may administratively drop students that do not meet the requirements. You are responsible for understanding course prerequisite or attendance policies as well as tuition for dropped classes.

Communicate with the course instructor if you feel you may be in danger of being administratively dropped, or drop a course as soon as you know you can’t remain in the class. Do not count on or wait for a department to complete an administrative drop as fees for dropped classes are based on the date you drop the class online via PAWS or the date your drop form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Class Standing

Class standing may be used as a prerequisite for a course. The prerequisite given in the course listing refers to the qualifications and/or standing needed to enroll in a given course. If no prerequisite is listed, the course is generally open to all students. If more than one prerequisite is listed, all are necessary unless a choice is clearly indicated.

Class Standing by Credit Totals
Sophomore Junior Senior
Pathway Advising
24-55 56-87 88 or more
Business & Information Studies 24-55 56-85 86 or more
Letters & Science 24-55 56-87 88 or more
Nursing 28-57 58-95 96 or more
All Other Majors 24-57 58-85 86 or more
Course Repeats

Unless a restriction is stated in the Schedule of Classes, undergraduates may repeat a course only once, and only the higher of the two grades will be calculated into the student’s grade point average (GPA). Both attempts will appear on the student’s transcript.  If retaking a class you already passed (e.g., to receive a better grade), the course may be repeated only once to be counted toward enrollment status for financial aid eligibility. If this passed course continues to be repeated, Title IV federal funds can no longer pay for this repeated course.

It is generally advisable for any student to consult an advisor before enrolling to repeat a course.

Students cannot enroll in the same course in the same term, even if the sessions are different.  If you know you will be unsuccessful in a course, you will have to repeat it in a subsequent semester.

If the UWM course repeats a course for which the student received transfer credit, the UWM course will be calculated into the GPA regardless of whether the UWM course grade is higher or lower. Both attempts will appear on the transcript. Once a bachelor’s degree has been earned, the academic career (credits, GPA, and coursework) starts over with any subsequent enrollment and the original record cannot be altered. Courses taken after the bachelor’s degree has been earned do not count as repeats of courses taken prior to the posting of the degree.

The single repeat limit applies to all courses, including courses taken for audit or with the credit/no credit option. Under exceptional circumstances additional repeats may be allowed following approval of a written appeal to the advising office of the student’s school or college. Departments offering the course have the right to establish special guidelines for additional repeats. Any special guidelines must apply to all students and shall be maintained, published, and enforced by the Registrar’s Office.

Exceptions to this policy are variable-topic courses which may be taken for credit as often as permitted for that particular course as specified in the Schedule of Classes. A variable-topic course may count as a repeat of a previously taken course only if the topic is identical to that of the student’s earlier enrollment and the repeat occurs within the same academic career.

Students who took a course as a repeat prior to fall 1988 are entitled to one additional enrollment. Transfer students who did not previously take a course at UWM are entitled to one repeat at UWM of a course taken at a previous institution.

If you have previously earned your degree from UWM, your attempted and earned credits as well as your cumulative GPA will start over with the courses you take in pursuit of your second degree. Courses taken as part of your first degree will not be considered repeats. Your original record cannot be altered.

Course Repeat Special Guidelines

As noted in the university’s policy on repeated courses, course repeats beyond the allowable limit must be approved by the student’s advising office. Effective as of Fall 2016, UWM’s College of Letters & Science and the Lubar School of Business have established additional guidelines requiring departmental approval for undergraduate students attempting classes offered by their academic units as well as the approval of the student’s academic unit.  Details on specific academic units requiring departmental approval for repeats after two attempts follow:

Published Guidelines for Repeats Beyond the Allowable Limit

AfricologyAllJeffrey Sommers
American Indian StudiesAllMichael Wilson
AnthropologyAllThomas Malaby
Art HistoryAllDerek Counts
(414) 229-4330
Biological SciencesAllLapham Hall #S181
(414) 229-4214
Business AdministrationAllLubar Hall #N297
(414) 229-5271
Chemistry & BiochemistryAllChemistry 114
(414) 229-4411
Students are permitted to attempt a single Chemistry or Biochemistry course or equivalent transfer course a maximum of three times. Students seeking to enroll in the same course for a second repeat (third attempt) must be approved to do so by the course instructor and the Chemistry and Biochemistry department by completing a permission form.
CommunicationAll(414) 229-4261
EconomicsAllRebecca Neumann
English100, 101 & 102Shevaun Watson
(414) 229-4511
Curtin #408
All othersGilberto Blasini
English for Academic PurposesAllBrooke Haley
To repeat an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course for the 3rd time, students must write an email to the EAP coordinator and their academic advisor explaining in detail why they failed the course two previous times. They should also explain what, specifically, they will do differently on the 3rd attempt to successfully complete the course.
Film StudiesAllGilberto Blasini
(414) 229-5912
Foreign Languages and LiteratureAllAndrew Porter
(414) 229-5564
French, Italian, and Comparative LiteratureAllRobin Pickering-Iazzi
(414) 229-4382
GeographyAllKristin Sziarto
(414) 229-3941
GeosciencesAllLindsay McHenry
(414) 251-9301
HistoryAllLex Renda
(414) 351-0511
Jewish StudiesAllRachel N. Baum
(414) 229-5156
Journalism, Advertising, and Media StudiesAll(414) 229-4436
LGBT StudiesAllDavid DiValerio
LinguisticsAllSandra Liliana Pucci
(414) 229-6166
MathStudents in UWM's College of Letters & ScienceL&S Advising
Holton 142
(414) 229-4654
Third attempts at Math courses can be approved at the discretion of the student’s School/College advising unit. All fourth takes need approval from the Mathematics Department.
Students in Other UWM Schools/CollegesRefer to the Contact List for UWM Academic Advising Offices
PhilosophyAllBlain Neufeld
(414) 229-4719
PhysicsAllphysics-ugadvisor@uwm.edu1. Complete required request form.
2. Contact Physics for a review appointment.
Political ScienceAllSara Benesh
(414) 229-6468
PsychologyAllDebbie Hannula
The Psychology Department will allow students to retake a course twice (three attempts total). Per L&S procedures students must file a formal appeal to the department to be granted a second retake. This appeal can be filed using the online form found here. Appeals for additional retakes (more than two) will be considered by the Associate Chair and the course instructor and will be granted only in exceptional circumstances.
Public and Nonprofit AdministrationAllDoug Irhke
(414) 229-4732
Religious StudiesAllDavid DiValerio
Spanish and Portuguese103, 104, 203 & 204Allison Libbey
300 to 500Stellia Jordán
All PortugueseSusana Antunes
All Spanish & PortugueseKathleen Wheatley
Translation & InterpretingAllLorena Terando
Urban StudiesAllJoel Rast
Women's and Gender StudiesAllMelinda Brennan
(414) 251-8231
Credit Hour Policy

Study leading to one semester credit represents an investment of time by the average student of not fewer than 48 hours for class contact in lectures, for laboratories, examinations, tutorials and recitations, and for preparation and study; or a demonstration by the student of learning equivalent to that established as the expected product of such a period of study.

See the full UWM Credit Hour Policy.

Grading Basis

Most students enroll in classes on a “Graded” basis that results in the assignment of a letter grade that appears on the transcript.  See the Grades section for more information.

Some classes allow the student to select a different grading basis during the enrollment process, including Credit/No Credit and Audit.

Credit/No Credit

Some courses may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis rather than for a letter grade. To be granted credit for a course that you’ve enrolled in with the Credit/No Credit option, you must earn a grade of C- or better.

Courses used to satisfy General Education Requirements and the English and math competencies may not be taken with the C/NC option. Schools and colleges with specific limitations on courses taken with the C/NC option are published below.

Some courses are offered on a C/NC basis only. These may be taken in addition to the published limits. C/NC courses are not counted in the GPA, but courses in which credit is earned will count toward graduation. Courses may be changed from a regular graded basis to C/NC or vice versa only during the same period as courses may be added. Only one such change may be made per semester per course.

University Special Students should contact an advisor in the Admissions Office for more information on the C/NC option.

Off-campus students should contact their advisor for more information on the C/NC option.

Credit/No Credit Option Table
School/College Qualifying Students C/NC Eligible Courses Limits
Academic Opportunity Center AOC Undergraduates follow the rules published for Letters & Science
College of Engineering & Applied Science Undergraduates in Engineering & Applied Science Free elective or Arts/Humanities/Social Science elective courses. Maximum of 12 credits; no more than three credits in any one semester.
College of Health Sciences Undergraduates admitted to the College of Health Sciences No required courses in any of the pre-professional or professional programs may be taken on a C/NC basis. Only one course, regardless of number of credits, may be taken per semester. A maximum of 12 credits may be taken C/NC.
College of Letters & Science Undergraduates in Letters & Science Courses other than Honors courses that are not in the student’s major or minor. One course per semester, maximum of eight courses.
College of Nursing Undergraduates in Nursing Non-clinical elective courses in Nursing. One course per semester, maximum of six credits.
Helen Bader School of Social Welfare Undergraduates majors and pre-majors in Social Work & Criminal Justice Only used in courses outside the 54-65 credit requirements in the Social Work or Criminal Justice major. One course per semester, maximum of eight courses.
Lubar School of Business Undergraduates in Business & Pre-Business All non-business courses (courses outside Lubar School of Business) that are not required as part of the student’s major. One course per semester; maximum of eight courses. No Business course may be taken on a C/NC basis by any student regardless of their program unless it is only offered on a C/NC basis. Pre-Business Students may not take ECON 103, ECON 104, or MATH 211 on a C/NC basis.
Peck School of the Arts Undergraduates in the Arts Courses outside of the major; any course which would fulfill the core curriculum requirements. One course per semester; maximum of eight courses
School Architecture & Urban Planning Pre-Architecture students and upper-level students with a 2.5 GPA Elective courses; courses other than the 48 credits required for the Architectural Studies degree. One course per semester, maximum eight courses.
School of Education Undergraduates in Education & Pre-Education Please see your advisor. Please see your advisor.
School of Information Studies Undergraduates in Information Resources All non-Information Studies (courses outside SOIS) that are not required as part of the student’s major. One course per semester, maximum eight courses.

Any non-degree seeking student or other individual who wishes to participate in a class at UWM without earning credit or pursuing a program should contact the Admissions Office.

If you audit a class, you won’t receive a grade or earn college credit for the class, and in most cases, you won’t be expected to take exams or prepare projects or term papers. Be sure to discuss course work and attendance requirements with your instructor during the first week of class. Course auditing is generally not permitted during UWinteriM.

Classes that require instructor consent to audit or never can be taken for audit are marked in the Schedule of Classes.

Auditors of any class held in the Klotsche Center and Pavilion will need to register each semester at the University Recreation Information Center in the Klotsche Center & Pavilion. Auditors will be permitted to use the space in the building assigned to the class only during the actual meeting times of the class. The auditor will be permitted to enter the facility 30 minutes prior to the class start time.

In order to gain regular access to the Klotsche Center and Pavilion facilities, any auditor, dissertator, off-campus student, or other class participant who has not paid the mandatory student fee must do so in the Bursar Office. The mandatory student fee is dependent on corresponding credit load and must be received in full before usage of facilities.