The UWM Writing Project – Young Writers’ Academy
Back by popular demand, this University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Writing Project’s (UWMWP) camp is for aspiring writers who are entering grade.6-8. During the camp, we meet each day in writing groups. This camp is facilitated by Teacher-Consultants (TCs), experienced writers and teachers who are involved in the UWMWP—and these TCs have a common goal of inspiring the imaginations and composition skills of young writers! We write daily in a creative, supportive environment. While writers of all abilities are welcome, we focus on some introductory concepts as well as more nuanced, stylistic skills.
During the Young Writers’ Academy, student writers:
- Explore a variety of genres, including poetry, short fiction, essay/nonfiction writing and more
- Receive individual instruction and feedback in small groups from UWMWP TCs
- Learn introductory and foundational writing techniques used by professional writers
- Meet and share writing with young writers from all around the state and country
- Engage in the entire writing process: brainstorming, drafting, revising and editing
Because this writing academy is sponsored by the UWMWP, we utilize a strong curriculum anchored by low teacher-to-student ratios (one instructor for every five or six students). This provides us the opportunity to build an authentic rapport with student writers, which ultimately allows us to foster a stronger writing community.
The Young Writers’ Academy culminates in a celebration of writing at the end of the week, where students are encouraged to share their favorite pieces! New and returning participants are welcomed to attend!
There is a 30-minute, supervised lunch break every day. Please make sure students bring a bagged lunch.
Once your child is registered, there are no refunds or transfers. Refunds are made only for classes canceled by CFK&T.
Discount – If registering for six or more classes, please use discount code CFK6PLUS to receive 15% off. It does not include before or after care.
Dates and locations to be announced.