UWM is committed to supporting the academic success of all students. Several Strategic Initiatives are highlighted below.
Outstanding Learning Environment
The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee has long engaged in efforts focused on creating student success. As an access institution, significant efforts have focused on:
- Recruiting a population that provides diversity in
- socio-economic status
- achievement and academic preparation
- family background, e.g. first generation students
- veteran status
- nationality, and
- Retaining students once enrolled and providing paths to satisfactory progress through the provision of
- high impact practices
- co-curricular activities that increase student engagement
- innovative practices and diversified education delivery mechanisms
- innovative financial support
Explore the resources below to learn more about UW-Milwaukee’s Outstanding Learning Environment:
- Outstanding Learning Environment Report (April 2018)
- Outstanding Learning Environment graphic
- Actions and Investment Areas:
- Foundational Pillars:
- Outcomes and Goals
Student Retention Plan
A comprehensive student retention plan, which incorporates Access to Success initiatives, serves to guide campus activities and interventions to promote student success. Three overarching goals detail best practices in providing a robust academic experience, promoting student growth, development and campus life experience, and implementing effective and efficient operations.
The University supports students from pre-college through to graduation.
- TRIO and Pre-College Programs
- Summer bridge program offerings
- Panther Math Prep is a summer math program designed to help incoming first year students retake the math placement test and place into a higher level math course.
- The Student Success Center connects new students to UWM during orientation programs, provides positive mentoring to new students throughout the academic year, and contributes a sense of UWM community, pride, spirit and tradition. Peer Mentors focus on providing continuous mentoring and programming to engage all students.
- Panther Academic Support Services (PASS) offers supplemental instruction, weekly small group tutoring, walk-in tutoring, online tutoring, residence hall evening tutoring, academic coaching and study groups to meet students’ learning needs.
- The Writing Center provides assistance face-to-face and online in real-time to address students’ writing needs on any kind of writing project.
- UWM Libraries provides space and resources to facilitate students’ learning experiences.
- Academic Advisors work with students to provide pathways for their academic career with access to various student resources to meet individual academic needs.
- Students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities are able to receive accommodations through the Accessibility Resource Center.
Innovating for Student Success
- The Student Success Collaborative incorporates predictive analytics that accesses and analyzes academic data to unlock insights about patterns of student success. These insights allow advisors and faculty to have earlier, more proactive, and more data-driven conversations with students.
- Active Learning Classrooms foster increased engagement, peer relationships, retention, processing of information and student achievement. These classrooms are constructed with mobile chairs and tables arranged for learning in small groups of varying sizes. Extensive media infrastructure is built into the rooms in order to increase student engagement through interactive, collaborative learning with peers and intensive use of small group pedagogy.