Green Fund Allocation and Mentorship Committee (GFAMC)

GFAMC Beginnings

The GFAMC was founded on April 14th, 2016 (initially as the Environmental Sustainability Mentorship Committee or ESMC) by students interested in moving student sustainability projects forward.  They did this by getting monetary support through student segregated fees called the Green Fund. Learn more about segregated fees here.

What does GFAMC do now?

The GFAMC is a collaborative group between the Student Association, students, faculty, staff, and administration to promote environmental sustainability ideals and practices here at UW-Milwaukee.  Beyond this basic purpose, they evaluate Green Fund projects submissions, allocate the Green Fund to approve projects, and mentor students to implement these projects and initiatives on campus.

How often does GFAMC meet?

The committee typically meets 1x weekly or bi-weekly during the Spring and Fall semesters.  Committees have opted to meet 1x monthly over winter and summer breaks, but this is not necessary.

How is the Green Fund Funded?

The Green Fund is funded through segregated fees collected each semester from every student.  In recent years, $0.75 is collected from each student each semester for the Green Fund.  The allocation amount can change year over year.  Segregated fees (like taxes) fund services and activities that improve student life. You can find all segregated fee allocations here.

How to Get Involved

1) Be part of the committee
GFAMC is made up of multiple positions ranging in committee responsibilities.  Below is a summary of each position. Apply to be on the committee here.

  1. A) Chair
  • Responsibilities:  Overall management of the committee.  Responsible for organizing schedules and meetings, sending out public meeting notices, maintaining accurate records, and overall coordination of the committee.
  • Number of Chairs: 1 student
  • Hours per week: ~2 hours

B) Vice-Chair

  • Responsibilities: Assisting chair with overall committee coordination, taking meeting minutes, performing tasks assigned by the chair, and preside over meetings in the absence of the chair.
  • Number of Vice-Chairs: 1 student
  • Hours per week: ~1-2 hours

C) Voting Committee Member

  • Assist chair and vice-chair with committee responsibilities and act as a voting member.
  • Number of Voting Committee Members: Up to 9
  • Hours per week: ~1-2

D) GFAMC Member

  • Responsibilities: Being a general member does not have assigned duties, but members can volunteer to assist or lead many aspects of GFAMC operations.
  • Number of Members: N/A
  • Hours per week: N/A

2) Apply for the Green Fund

The UWM Green Fund is a fund supported by segregated fees that can be used to implement student sustainability projects across campus.  Students must apply for the Green Fund using this application.  Applications are typically accepted early to mid-semester.  GFAMC evaluates and approves Green Fund applications and projects.  Approved projects also work with GFAMC to make their projects a reality.  Past approved projects include a sustainable travel trailer, renewal of the Bublr Bikes program, and a plastic bag ban.

Any student with an idea to implement a sustainable project on campus should apply!  Projects could take multiple semesters or years to implement so please keep that in mind when applying.

3) Help spread the word about the Green Fund!

If you are not ready to be on the committee or apply for the Green Fund, then help us spread the word!

A) Follow and share posts on social media:

– Facebook:

– Instagram:

B) Share GFAMC and Green Fund Application with your friends, student organizations, and schools.

Environmental Sustainability Mentorship Committee Bylaws

SB1617-006 Creation of the Environmental Sustainability Mentorship Committee

2019-2020 ESMC Meeting Documents

Public Meeting Notice (PMN)AgendaMinutesOther

2018-2019 Environmental Sustainability Mentorship Committee Meeting Documentation

Meeting Date
Public Meeting Notice (PMN)AgendaMinutesOther

The previous 2 years of committee documents can be found HERE as is required by the University Records Retention Timeline. For any further information please file a Public Records Request with the OAC