Admission for Academic Study: Graduate Students

At the graduate studies level, you can be accepted for academic study at UWM in one of the following three ways:

  • *Conditional Admission: This admission status requires full-time study in our Intensive English Program before beginning academic courses. Learn more about conditional admission for graduate students.
    • If you are accepted with conditional admission, then you must apply to the English Language Academy’s Intensive English Program (IEP) separately. Your conditional admission status means that you must complete the Intensive English Program before you can take academic courses for your degree.

Apply to the IEP

  • *Dual Admission: Students admitted in this category are eligible to enroll in six credits of academic coursework and are also required to enroll in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) coursework.

Learn more about dual admission.

Learn more about EAP graduate courses.

  • Full Admission: This status means that you have been fully admitted as a degree-seeking student, and you are not required to take courses in the English Language Academy. However, we do encourage graduate students with full admission to take EAP courses to continue improving their English language skills. Our EAP courses are specifically designed for non-native speakers of English with smaller class sizes, more one-on-one interaction between the instructor and student, and experienced instructors.

*Please note – Only certain graduate programs accept conditional or dual admission. Consult your degree program’s representative to learn more information about admission requirements. 

UWM English Proficiency Requirements for Graduates

If you are interested in applying to UWM for an academic degree, you will be required to provide proof of English proficiency. You can find information about the English proficiency requirements here.

  • Register for IELTS here.
  • Register for the Duolingo here.
  • Register for TOEFL here. The UWM institutional code is 1473.

If you have any questions about EAP courses for graduate students, please contact the English Language Academy Director / EAP coordinator Brooke Haley at

If you have any questions about conditional, dual, or regular admission, please contact the Center for International Education (CIE) International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).