Admission to UWM for Academic Study

Are you an international student looking to become a part of the UWM community?  Then you may wish to apply to UWM for academic study. Admission types vary according to the degree you wish to pursue. Learn more about admission for the following:

Academic Study: Undergraduate (Bachelor’s)

Academic Study: Graduate (Master’s or Doctorate)

To apply for academic study, international students must must provide proof of English proficiency.

Both Undergraduates and Graduates can demonstrate English proficiency through the ELA Intensive English Program:

  • For undergraduate admission, complete the English Language Academy Intensive English Program by attaining B2 level outcomes in all of the core classes (Reading, Listening & Speaking, and Writing).
  • Only graduate students with conditional admission can achieve dual admission by completing the C1 level outcomes in the ELA IEP. Graduate students who have not received conditional admission have different requirements. Learn more about those requirements here.
  • For other ways to provide English proficiency, consult the Center for International Education website or contact the Center for International Education (CIE) International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) directly.

Do you have questions about how to apply for academic study? Contact the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at