Are you an international student looking to become a part of the UWM community? Then you may wish to apply to UWM for academic study. To apply for academic study, international students must must provide proof of English proficiency.
Provide proof of English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- A TOEFL IBT, TOEFL PBT, or IELTS score that meets the requirement for regular, foundation, or conditional admission; or,
- University Study: Completion of at least eighteen months of full-time, for-credit academic study (approximately three semesters) at a recognized or accredited institution of higher education whose language of instruction is English immediately prior to enrollment at UWM; or,
- Secondary/High School Study: Proof of completion of the last two years of secondary/high school at an institution whose language of instruction is English immediately prior to enrollment at UWM.
- Complete the English Language Academy Intensive English Program by attaining all B2 level outcomes and receive IEP recommendation
- A positive recommendation from the director of the Wisconsin ESL Institute (WESLI), stating that the applicant has passed the 700 level of reading and writing with a B grade or higher.
Admission types vary according to the degree you wish to pursue. Learn more about admission for the following:
Applicants who do not have English language proficiency and wish to apply for a bachelor’s degree can apply for conditional admission:
Have you been in the English Language Academy’s Intensive English Program and are ready to take the next step? Then you can learn more about the requirements for applying for academic study at UWM.
If you have any further questions about admission for academic study, consult the Center for International Education website or contact the Center for International Education (CIE) International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) directly.
Center for International Education (CIE) International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Garland Hall 138
8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
Tel: 1+ (414) 229-4846
Fax: 1+ (414) 229-0521