For graduate programs (Master’s or PHD Degree)
In exceptional cases, a student may be admitted to the Graduate school with conditional admission status. This means that the student must enroll full-time in the Intensive English Program (IEP) and cannot enroll in academic courses or hold a graduate assistantship position. Conditionally admitted students must achieve at least a CEFR B2 level within two semesters of initial enrollment at UWM by presenting one of the following:
- presenting a new official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or CAE/CPE score that meets the English proficiency requirement for dual admission for the program of the student; OR
- achieving a CEFR level of B2 through portfolio assessment after completion of at least one semester in the UWM Intensive English Program (Achieving 85% or more of the student learning outcomes in level B2 or higher in at least 2 out of 3 core classes for one semester). Core classes are 060, 070, 080.
The portfolio assessment at the B2 level consists of the following:
- institutional TOEFL score of at least 523 (We currently use the MEPT online test)
- Impromptu writing test
- Speaking test
- Evidence compiled through continuous assessments by IEP teachers
The portfolio will be assessed by a normed ELA portfolio committee. There is an ELA hold on a student’s PAWS account until the student has met ELA dual portfolio requirements or upon submission of adequate TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Based on submission of a qualifying official test score, or portfolio assessment after completion of IEP, the Graduate School will change the student to dual admission status for the immediately following semester.
Graduate students in conditional admission status are subject to the following restrictions:
- The student must enroll full-time in the IEP, and achieve at least a CEFR B2 level within 2 semesters, or the admission offer will be rescinded
- The student is not allowed to take academic courses
- The student cannot be appointed to any Graduate Assistant position
Contact information: If you have any questions applying to the IEP, please contact the English Language Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about conditional admission, please contact:
Center for International Education (CIE) International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Garland 138
8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
Tel: 1+ (414) 229-4846
Fax: 1+ (414) 229-0521