Undergraduate Students

Before you can register for classes, you must complete New Student Orientation and possibly placement tests.  Upon completion, you will be able to make an appointment with an academic advisor, who will help you select your courses.

What is course placement?

All UWM students, in all majors, must complete General Education Requirements (GER) in both English and mathematics to graduate.  Course placement identifies which courses are most appropriate for you based on your previous experience and skill level.   

Who needs to be placed?

All new freshmen, and transfer students that do not have any math or English courses transferred to UWM. Most new international undergraduate students need course placement in both math and English. 

Students with ACT/SAT scores: How do I get placed?

Students that have provided official ACT or SAT scores to UWM will be automatically placed into math and English courses based on those scores. There is no need to do anything if you are happy with your placement. If not, see the information below for students without ACT or SAT scores. You can choose to use the ALEKS and GEP programs to potentially change your placement. Your academic advisor will advise you on appropriate course selection based on your placement.   

Students without ACT/SAT scores: How do I get placed in math?

Panther Math Prep is a free online placement tool that allows you to assess your current math skill level and receive a course placement via an online proctored math placement test in a platform called ALEKS.  You can use the free prep, review, and practice tools within ALEKS to build and refresh your math skills and take a placement test up to five times. Be sure to complete ALEKS before meeting your academic advisor so they can advise you on appropriate course selection based on your placement.  

Students without ACT/SAT scores: How do I get placed in English?

Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 65-78 or an IELTS score of 5.0-6.0, will be automatically placed into the appropriate course by UWM’s English Language Academy (ELA). The courses offered in the ELA mirror the regular sequence of courses but are designed for students whose native language is not English and may need additional support.  There is no need to do anything. Your academic advisor will advise you on appropriate course selection based on your placement. 

English placement tests for all other international students will use an online placement tool called Guided English Placement (GEP). The GEP is not a standardized test and there are no right or wrong answers. You will be asked a variety of questions about your educational experiences, writing and reading skills, and academic mindset. You will also be given reading and writing samples to reflect upon. No writing is required of you. Be sure to complete the GEP before meeting your academic advisor so they can advise you on appropriate course selection based on your placement.

Why do I need to take English classes if I have already passed the English proficiency requirement with my application materials?

UWM has two different “English” requirements, and you must meet both. 

English proficiency is required of all applicants whose native language is not English to verify you have the English skills to be generally successful in coursework. Admitted students have already met this requirement. 

All UWM students (international and domestic) must complete a sequence of English courses to graduate. Completion of this requirement verifies that you have the skills necessary to write both academically and professionally before earning your degree. 

Graduate Students

Graduate Students should contact their respective graduate program representative to inquire which faculty member will advise on course registration. Register as early as possible because classes fill up.