Drone shot of UWM's campus

Degree-seeking students that need a visa to study at UWM should obtain an F-1 visa. Students participating in an exchange program, or degree-seeking students required by their sponsor, should obtain a J-1 visa. 
After you are admitted to UWM, you must request an I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1), the official U.S. document required for your student visa application. Your I-20/DS-2019 indicates the school you are attending, level of education, area of study, expected program completion date, and information on how you will finance your education.

Requesting your Immigration Document

F-1 Students: The email with your official admission letter will include instructions on how to request your I-20 or DS-2019 through the online portal: ISSS Connect. You must provide the following:

  • Passport biographical page
  • Proof of funding required documentation
  • For students bringing dependents (spouse or children):
    • Passport biographical page for each dependent
    • Additional proof of funding
  • For students currently in the U.S. with an active SEVIS Record:
    • Completion of a SEVIS record transfer questionnaire
    • Verification that your current school will transfer your Active SEVIS Record

J-1 Students: You will work with your ISSS program coordinator to request your DS-2019 to request your DS-2019. The minimum required documents you will provide are:

  • Passport biographical page
  • Proof of funding 

Resources for Student Visa Application