Considerations When Choosing a Program
We believe that there is a study abroad program for all students who wish to go abroad. Our staff members are committed to utilizing all resources available to help make this happen, but the first step starts with you – the student.
It’s important to consider the type of experience you are looking to get out of studying abroad.
- Are you looking to master your fluency in another language? Learn a new one?
- Do you need to take classes in your major or earn credits towards your degree? Do you want to use up your elective credits by exploring courses outside of your major?
- Do you want to experience a new country or go somewhere less commonly traveled?
Determine what you want to get out of studying abroad by determining your goals. It’ll help clear up the clutter on so many different programs and help you focus on what best fits you and your interests.
How to Get Started
- Meet with your academic advisor to help plan out your academic priorities and plan. Knowing what you want to get out of your experience is important and can help you with your decision.
- Start researching financial options. Check with your school or college to see if there are scholarships or additional funds for students that are studying abroad.
- The Center for International Education has compiled some basic scholarships from around campus and from program providers. Visit our Financial Planning Page.
- Learn about the various study abroad programs that are available. View UWM’s programs.
- Meet with the study abroad staff. Our study abroad coordinators are experts on CIE’s study abroad programs. There are also student staff who you can talk to, including some who may have already studied abroad, or who are currently studying abroad in the U.S.!
- Attend a Study Abroad Fair. This is the best place to check out all of the programs and see other upcoming options. There is a Study Abroad Fair each fall and spring semester.
- Apply for a study abroad program. Go to your desired program web page, and review all the information.
- Click the “Apply Now” button, and complete requirements by the listed deadline.