Property Program

The University of Wisconsin System is self-funded for property protection under Wisconsin Statute, Section 20.865. This statute provides all-risk, replacement-cost protection for damage resulting from direct physical loss, with some exclusions.

This coverage applies to buildings, contents, capital equipment, supplies and vehicles. All losses are subject to a $1000 deductible, with two exceptions: there is a $2500 deductible for theft when there is no sign of forced removal and there is a $0 deductible on vehicle glass breakage.

Property Summaries

Each spring, our office solicits information from each department to update our coverage for fine arts, museum pieces, special libraries, fabricated equipment and other property categories. All values are updated and reported to UW System and State Risk Management to assure adequate coverage of all University-owned property. It is only through your cooperation and assistance that we can accomplish this task.

  • Transit Coverage: Whenever UW property is transported off campus, there are risks in the transit process that need to be insured. This also applies to equipment being shipped to campus, as in FOB shipping point, and for equipment being returned to campus after being away. For items that are leaving campus or being sent to campus for which we are responsible, it is essential that such items are tracked. Up to $50,000, you need only keep records in your department files. Please keep track of the items that are leaving or being shipped, serial #’s of these items, the replacement cost, dates of departure and the method of transit (including items that are being personally carried as baggage). For items $50,000 and over, all items must be reported to State (of Wisconsin) Risk Management. See the Shipment of Property page for more details. This website will provide instruction as well as an online form for your use in scheduling items in transit. Once the form is sent, the items will be scheduled for insurance thru the State and a copy of the form will be sent to our office.
  • Property Off Campus: It is important to remember that items off campus must be specifically tracked. Items valued up to $50,000, you need only keep records in your department files. Please keep track of the item’s serial #’s, the replacement cost, dates of departure and the method of transit.  Items valued $50,000 and over must be reported to the Risk Management office. For example, you may ship something to Mexico and request coverage for the item in transit. But in addition to the transit coverage, you must also send a written request (e-mail is fine) to our office to request coverage for the item while it is being housed/used at that location.
  • Borrowed Property: In order to assure property coverage for non-owned items that are on-loan or borrowed, the following information needs to be given to Risk Management: a description of the item, including make, model and/or serial #, the name of the owner, the location of the item while on campus, the time span for coverage, the value and the department name. Equipment on loan may include items borrowed from other institutions and corporations, as well as privately owned items as long as they are being used on University business. Items that are personally owned by employees are generally not covered, but some exceptions may be made by our office. Equipment provided to the University that is here solely for “sale on approval” is the legal responsibility of the vendor and such coverage requests will be evaluated on a case by case basis, depending on the circumstances.
  • Insurance Coverage for Employee’s Personal Property: UW System has developed guidelines for University employees regarding the use of personally owned property at work and the potential for reimbursement should that property be damaged or stolen.