An Affiliation Agreement is a formal contract between UW-Milwaukee and the placement agency (this is a non-UW-Milwaukee institution or business where the student(s) will have the experience). It identifies the responsibilities and liabilities of the various parties covered by the contract. Students engaged in these placements are not paid and the experience is required for graduation. UW-Milwaukee does not require Affiliation Agreements. These contracts are signed by the agency and the Director of University Safety and Assurances not the Dean of a College or Departmental Personnel.
There are two types of placements, Clinical and Field. A Clinical placement is in a hospital or medical setting. A Field placement is everything non-Clinical. Please note: Clinical placements and schools require Caregiver Background checks. A Uniform Affiliation Agreement template for student placements is found below as well as the Caregiver Affiliation Agreement Addendum and Affiliation Agreement checklist. This checklist must be submitted with the Affiliation Agreement to the Risk Management Office for signature.
A Program Memorandum is a document that describes the placement of the student(s). It specifies the course content, the expectations of the student and the agency and may include special requirements. These documents are signed by the Dean or Dean’s designee. The Dean can appoint a designee via this attached letter. Questions regarding Program Memoranda should be directed to the Legal Affairs Office.
Departmental placement coordinators are the main contacts with the placement agencies. Please go to the “Tips for Placement Coordinators” for additional information regarding the process of establishing an Affiliation Agreement.
California, Oregon, Washington and Colorado stipulate Worker’s Compensation coverage for student experiences requiring affiliation agreements. UWM students who plan to do internships, practicums or clinical placements in these states will need to obtain a separate workers compensation insurance policy. The cost of this policy will be the responsibility of the student or Department. Contact the Risk Management office for additional information.
AGREEMENTS & CHECKLIST:
- Uniform Affiliation Agreement
- Caregiver Affiliation Agreement Addendum
- VA Affiliation Agreement
- Systemwide Affiliation Agreements
- Affiliation Agreement Insurance Addendum (to replace insurance limits language)
- Affiliation Agreement Checklist for Placement Coordinators
- List of UWM Clinical Placement Coordinators
- List of UWM Field Placement Coordinators
- Affiliation Agreement Definitions Page
- A Memorandum to Students on Clinical or Field Education Programs
- List of UWM Affiliation Agreements
- Wisconsin Statutes
Caregiver Background Check Information for Staff and Students
- General Information on Caregiver Background Checks — (For students participating in field and clinical placements with regulated affiliates)
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Procedures for Compliance with the Wisconsin Caregiver Law
- Department of Health and Family Services “Caregiver Program” (including Background Checks)