Financial Aid

Financial aid, in the form of teaching or research assistantships, is awarded on a competitive basis. Most students who receive aid work as teaching assistants, though some may work as research assistants on faculty grants. Some funding also exists outside the department. The University offers fellowships that promote high-quality research (Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowship and Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship) and diversity (Advanced Opportunity Program Fellowship). Check the Graduate School’s Types of Funding page for details and deadlines. Occasionally, students will be able to apply for assistantships with other units on campus.