- A baccalaureate degree, or its equivalent as determined by the UWM Center on International Education, from a regionally accredited institution, completed before the first term of enrollment in the Graduate School. Students applying to approved integrated bachelor’s/master’s programs are exempt from this requirement.
- Proficiency in the English language.
A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, or an equivalent measure on a grading system that does not use a 4.0 scale.
Those whose undergraduate GPA is below 2.75 must provide evidence of ability to succeed in graduate study through at least one of the following:
- GPA of at least 3.0 during the last two years of the baccalaureate program (calculated on a minimum of 48 credits).
- Completion of six or more credits of program-approved post-baccalaureate courses. These courses must be at the advanced undergraduate or graduate level, taken with the last five years with a grade of B or better (B- not acceptable).
- Submission of official score reports from the Graduate Record Examination, the Graduate Management Admission Test, or the Miller Analogies Test that indicate competencies in areas related to the proposed graduate program. To be considered official, these scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to UWM, and must be received prior to admission.
- Scores on tests developed by the proposed graduate program that demonstrate potential for success in that program. These scores must be submitted prior to admission.
- Evidence of professional certification or licensure in a relevant area as determined by the proposed program and the Assistant Dean of Graduate Education.
- A graduate degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA
All of an applicant’s undergraduate coursework completed before award of the first undergraduate degree is included in the GPA computation. For courses that were repeated for credit, each attempt is included.
Additional Items to Submit
Transcripts: All applicants, including UWM students, must upload an official or unofficial transcript directly in the Panthera admission application system for all work done at higher education/post-secondary institutions. Be sure to check into the cost of an unofficial transcript as this might be more cost effective.
All applicants who are admitted to the Graduate School will be required to submit an official transcript with the degree posted within two weeks of the beginning of their first term of enrollment. Official transcripts are received by the graduate school directly from the issuing institution. UWM students will not have to submit their official, degree-bearing transcripts.
International applicants should refer to International Admissions for more information.
Reasons Statement: An essential part of your application, the Reasons Statement is used to determine the appropriateness of your educational and professional goals and serves as an example of your ability to express yourself in writing. In the statement:
- Explain your reasons for pursuing graduate study.
- Describe specific interests and your background in the field.
- List any relevant skills or training you have acquired.
- List relevant academic awards or honors you have received.
Letters of Recommendation: If your program requires letters of recommendation, you will be able to send a request directly to your recommender(s) in the Panthera application. The letter can then be loaded by your recommender directly into the application.
Fee(s): All applicants are required to pay a non-refundable $75 application fee.
Effective Spring 2018, CIE no longer requires an additional $40 fee for applicants with non-U.S. college credits.
If you are applying to a doctoral program and already hold a UWM master’s degree, you do not need to pay the application fee again.
- Program Requirements: You will find additional program requirements in the Panthera admission application. If you have questions about these requirements, contact your program.
McNair Scholars Program Alumni
Submitting an Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver.
Students who have successfully completed participation in the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair) are eligible to have the cost of their University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School application fee covered with the submission of completed and signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver. No other documentation will be accepted to waive the application fee. McNair Alumni must submit the completed/signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver within the Panthera application at least 7-10 business days prior to the application deadline. All applicants are responsible for making sure all documentation is complete, submitted, and approved at least 7-10 days prior to the application deadline”
McNair Graduate Entrance Fellowship (MGEF)
McNair Scholars, accepted and enrolled in a graduate degree program at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, are eligible to receive a one-time $3,000 award in their first term of graduate studies. Requirements and conditions include:
- You must be accepted and enrolled in the Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 term.
- The incentive cannot be used as a reimbursement. If you have any questions, please contact Dana-María Baldwin, Coordinator of Graduate Diversity & Inclusion at email@example.com.
McNair Alumni who apply to UWM Graduate School must submit a completed and signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver to receive exemption from the application fee and to receive the $3,000 McNair Graduate Entrance Fellowship (MGEF) with enrollment. No other documentation will be accepted to present eligibility for MGEF.
- Make sure you satisfy the admission requirements for both the Graduate School AND the program you will be applying for.
- Submit your online application on time: Application submission dates vary by program. Contact your program for its deadline.
Pay the application fee(s): a non-refundable, $75 base application fee is required of all applicants.
• Note: If you are applying to a doctoral program and already hold a UWM master’s degree, the Graduate School will waive the application fee for one doctoral program application.
- Watch your mailbox for information on monitoring your application status online.
Complete the Panthera Admission Application
Retention of Application Materials
The Graduate School will keep your application materials for one year. After one year you will need to apply again and submit all required application materials. All application materials become the property of the Graduate School and cannot be returned to the applicant, forwarded to another institution, or duplicated for any purpose.
- Has the applicant’s background provided adequate preparation for success in the program?
- Is there sufficient faculty expertise to support and nurture the research interests and professional goals of this applicant?
- Can qualified faculty members commit the time to adequately advise and mentor a new student?
- Is there capacity in the program to support a new student?
UWM Institutional Code for the GRE: 1473
Please be aware that not all programs require the completion of the GRE. View your program’s web page for their specific requirements, or contact your program directly.
Completion of the GRE may be a Graduate School requirement for those whose undergraduate GPA is below 2.75. See the Minimum Qualifications section above for more details.
UWM Institutional Code for the GMAT: 1896