Please read the following information before you apply online. You must meet Graduate School and specific program requirements for admission. Please be aware of recommended and required deadlines. We recommend applying at least one year in advance of the term you wish to start.
Applicants for admission to the UWM Graduate School must have the following:
- A baccalaureate degree, or its equivalent as determined by the UWM Center on International Education, from a regionally accredited institution, completed before the first term of enrollment in the Graduate School. Students applying to approved accelerated master’s degrees are exempt from this requirement.
- Proficiency in the English language.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, or an equivalent measure on a grading system that does not use a 4.0 scale. Those whose undergraduate GPA is below 2.75 must provide evidence of ability to succeed in graduate study through at least one of the following:
- GPA of at least 3.0 during the last two years of the baccalaureate program (calculated on a minimum of 48 credits).
- Completion of six or more credits of program-approved post-baccalaureate courses. These courses must be at the advanced undergraduate or graduate level, taken with the last five years with a grade of B or better (B- not acceptable).
- Submission of official score reports from the Graduate Record Examination, the Graduate Management Admission Test, or the Miller Analogies Test that indicate competencies in areas related to the proposed graduate program. To be considered official, these scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to UWM, and must be received prior to admission.
- Scores on tests developed by the proposed graduate program that demonstrate potential for success in that program. These scores must be submitted prior to admission.
- Evidence of professional certification or licensure in a relevant area as determined by the proposed program and the Assistant Dean of Graduate Education.
- A graduate degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA
Prospective students should consult with the graduate program representative to determine which type of evidence is appropriate and sufficient for a given program. Completion of additional coursework and/or submission of test scores, or other types of evidence of ability is a requirement to be considered for admission, but is not a guarantee of admission.
All of an applicant’s undergraduate coursework completed before award of the first undergraduate degree is included in the GPA computation. For courses that were repeated for credit, each attempt is included.
Additional Items to Submit
The following items must be submitted for your application to be considered complete.
Applicants submitting applications for a Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 start term:
- All applicants, including UWM students, must upload an official or unofficial transcript directly in the Panthera admission application system for all work done at higher education/post-secondary institutions where 9 or more credits were earned.
- All applicants who are admitted to the Graduate School will be required to submit an official transcript(s) with the degree posted within two weeks of the beginning of their first term of enrollment. Official transcripts are received by the graduate school directly from the issuing institution. UWM students will not have to submit their official, degree-bearing transcripts.
- International applicants should refer to International Admissions for more information.
Applicants submitting applications for a Summer 2022 start term and beyond:
- All applicants, including UWM students, must upload transcripts from all academic institutions where a bachelor’s degree or above has been or will be earned.
- If you are admitted and enroll at UW-Milwaukee, you must submit an official transcript for your bachelor’s degree with the degree and date awarded. (Additional official transcript(s) may be required. The Graduate School will send additional instructions to you after the official admission decision has been made.) UWM students will not have to submit their official, degree-bearing transcripts.
- International applicants should refer to International Admissions for more information.
- Reason Statement: An essential part of your application, the Reason Statement is used to determine the appropriateness of your educational and professional goals and serves as an example of your ability to express yourself in writing. In the statement:
- Explain your reasons for pursuing graduate study.
- Describe specific interests and your background in the field.
- List any relevant skills or training you have acquired.
- List relevant academic awards or honors you have received.
- Letters of Recommendation: If your program requires letters of recommendation, you will be able to send a request directly to your recommender(s) in the Panthera application. The letter can then be loaded by your recommender directly into the application.
- All applicants are required to pay a non-refundable $75 application fee.
- If you are applying to a doctoral program and already hold a UWM master’s degree or will have completed a UWM master’s degree prior to starting the doctoral program, you do not need to pay the application fee again.
- Program Requirements: You will find additional program requirements in the Panthera admission application. If you have questions about these requirements, contact your program.
McNair Scholars Program Alumni
Submitting an Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver.
Students who have successfully completed participation in the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair) are eligible to have the cost of their University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School application fee covered with the submission of completed and signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver. No other documentation will be accepted to waive the application fee. McNair Alumni must submit the completed/signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver (PDF) within the Panthera application at least 7-10 business days prior to the application deadline. All applicants are responsible for making sure all documentation is complete, submitted, and approved at least 7-10 days prior to the application deadline”
McNair Graduate Entrance Fellowship (MGEF)
McNair Scholars, accepted and enrolled in a graduate degree program at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, are eligible to receive a one-time $3,000 award in their first term of graduate studies. Requirements and conditions include:
- You must be accepted and enrolled in the Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 term.
- The incentive cannot be used as a reimbursement. If you have any questions, please contact Dana-María Baldwin, Coordinator of Graduate Diversity & Inclusion at email@example.com.
McNair Alumni who apply to UWM Graduate School must submit a completed and signed Official TRIO McNair Application Fee Waiver to receive exemption from the application fee and to receive the $3,000 McNair Graduate Entrance Fellowship (MGEF) (PDF) with enrollment. No other documentation will be accepted to present eligibility for MGEF.
- Make sure you satisfy the admission requirements for both the Graduate School AND the program you will be applying for.
- Submit your online application on time: Application submission dates vary by program. Contact your program for its deadline.
- Pay the application fee(s): a non-refundable, $75 base application fee is required of all applicants.
- Note: If you are applying to a doctoral program and already hold a UWM master’s degree or will have completed a UWM masters program prior to starting the doctoral program, the Graduate School will waive the application fee for one doctoral program application.
- Watch your email for information on monitoring your application status online.
Retention of Application Materials
The Graduate School will keep your application materials for one year. After one year you will need to apply again and submit all required application materials. All application materials become the property of the Graduate School and cannot be returned to the applicant, forwarded to another institution, or duplicated for any purpose.
If you are a UWM student holding senior standing and are within 6 credits of graduation, and meet both the admission requirements of the Graduate School and your proposed graduate program unit, you may apply and be considered for one semester’s concurrent enrollment in the undergraduate college and in the Graduate School. Your entire program is subject to the regulations and requirements of the Graduate School. You receive graduate credit only if the requirements for the bachelor’s degree, including proficiency tests, are completed by the end of the semester of senior-graduate enrollment. You are assessed graduate fees for all coursework taken during the semester of senior-graduate admission.
It’s important to remember that the decision to accept or deny an application for graduate study at UWM is based on more than the completeness of the application or the quality of an applicant’s prior achievements. The Graduate School works collaboratively with the applicant’s intended graduate program to ensure that the student would fit well and thrive in the program. The program unit is well positioned to address more specific questions:
- Has the applicant’s background provided adequate preparation for success in the program?
- Is there sufficient faculty expertise to support and nurture the research interests and professional goals of this applicant?
- Can qualified faculty members commit the time to adequately advise and mentor a new student?
- Is there capacity in the program to support a new student?
- UWM Institutional Code for the GRE: 1473
- Please be aware that not all programs require the completion of the GRE. View your program’s web page for their specific requirements, or contact your program directly.
- Completion of the GRE may be a Graduate School requirement for those whose undergraduate GPA is below 2.75. See the Minimum Qualifications section above for more details.
- UWM Institutional Code for the GMAT: 1896