As a LGBTQ+ student preparing for entry into the workforce, you may find yourself faced with additional career planning challenges related to your sexual orientation. For the most part, university life at UWM can be a supportive environment, with an LGBTQ+ Resource Center, active student groups, and university-backed non-discrimination policies. The workplace can be quite different, in terms of the openness of and support for LGBTQ+ employees.
The following guide is designed to offer a starting point in considering issues faced by LGBTQ+ people in the workplace. There are no hard and fast rules, so you should feel free to address questions on coming out at work and during the job search to career counselors at the Career Planning & Resource Center.
Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce Job Board – This site is updated with open job postings from members of the Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce, a statewide organization that works to create a fully inclusive state by promoting economic growth and opportunities among LGBT owned and allied businesses, corporations, and professionals in Wisconsin.
- United We Dream scholarship page
- College Greenlight through Cappex keeps a good (and updated) list of scholarships for undocumented students
- The College Advising Guide for Undocumented Students also offers a comprehensive financial aid and scholarship section
- For those of us beginning our work with juniors, Questbridge and the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship are both open to undocumented students.
- Golden Door Scholars and TheDream.US.
Want Information on Other Scholarships?