If you are a student currently in the Intensive English Program that does not yet have a TOEFL or IELTS score that meets requirements for foundation (undergraduates), dual (graduates), or full admission, then you can apply for Conditional Admission. Students admitted with conditional admission have to different requirements to move out of conditional admission:
For undergraduate programs (Bachelor’s Degree):
Students who have been conditionally admitted are required to enroll full-time in the Intensive English Program (IEP) and will not be permitted to register for academic courses until a higher level of English proficiency has been achieved. A conditionally admitted student can pass out of Conditional Admission status by meeting one of the following criteria:
- Qualifying for full admission with foundation or full admission by positive recommendation from the Intensive English Program (IEP) following a sixteen-week session OR
- Submission of a TOEFL score or an IELTS score which meets the English proficiency score range for full admission with foundation or full admission.
For graduate programs (Master’s or PHD Degree)
In exceptional cases, a student may be admitted to the Graduate school with conditional admission status. Graduate students in conditional admission status are subject to the following restrictions:
- The student must enroll full-time in the IEP, and achieve at least a CEFR B2 level within 2 semesters, or the admission offer will be rescinded.
- The student is not allowed to take academic courses
- The student cannot be appointed to any Graduate Assistant position
Subsequent to conditional admission, the student may be changed to dual admission by achieving one of the following:
- Present a TOEFL score of 68 or an IELTS score of 6.0. (Some programs have higher requirements. Report your score to the Center for International Education before the start of the new semester); OR
- By attainment of CEFR level of B2 through portfolio assessment after completion of at least one semester in the UWM Intensive English Program. The portfolio assessment at the B2 level consists of the following:
- Institutional TOEFL score of at least 523 (We currently use the MEPT online test)
- Impromptu writing test
- Speaking test
- Evidence compiled through continuous assessments by IEP teachers
The portfolio will be assessed by a normed ELA portfolio committee. There is an ELA hold on a student’s PAWS account until the student has met ELA dual portfolio requirements or upon submission of adequate TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Based on submission of a qualifying official test score, or portfolio assessment after completion of IEP, the Graduate School will change the student to dual admission status for the immediately following semester.
Contact information: If you have any questions about the Intensive English Program, please contact the English Language Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about conditional admission, please contact:
Center for International Education (CIE) International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Garland 138
8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday
Tel: 1+ (414) 229-4846
Fax: 1+ (414) 229-0521