As a student of art history at UWM, you will receive a strong foundation in all areas of the discipline to prepare you for a career or graduate school.
To earn the major, students take the required courses: ARTHIST 101 Ancient and Medieval Art and Architecture, ARTHIST 102 Renaissance to Modern Art and Architecture, and ARTHIST 501: Colloquium in Method and Theory.
After these core courses, students fill their schedule with upper-level electives such as:
- Roman Art and Archaeology (ARTHIST 316)
- French Gothic Art & Architecture (ARTHIST 426)
- Seventeenth-Century Spanish Art (ARTHIST 445)
- Dada and Surrealism (ARTHIST 465)
- American Architecture (ARTHIST 459)
- History and Theory of New Media Art (ARTHIST 472)
- Film Styles (ARTHIST 308)
In order to graduate, majors must also complete the L&S Research Requirement during the junior or senior year.
Major worksheets are available for those wishing to keep track of their fulfillment progress. Requirements differ for students who declared an Art History major prior to the start of 2019.