Derek B. Counts
- PhD Brown University, Old World Archaeology and Art, 1998
- MA University of Georgia, Classics, 1994
- AB Davidson College, Classics, 1992
- Classical archaeology and art (Aegean Bronze age, Greek, Roman), with a special emphasis on the material culture of Greece, Cyprus and the eastern Mediterranean
- Ancient religious practice and associated iconography
- Greek sculpture
- Identity in ancient contact zones
- ‘Globalization’ in the ancient world and postcolonial theory
- ArtHist 101: Ancient and Medieval Art and Architecture
- ArtHist 312: Minoan and Mycenaean Art and Archaeology
- ArtHist 313: Greek Art and Archaeology
- ArtHist 316: Roman art and Archaeology
- ArtHist 413: Greek Sculpture
- ArtHist 710: Roman Copies, and the Problem of Originals
- ArtHist 710: The Parthenon and the Athenian Acropolis
- Associate Director: Athienou Archaeological Project (Athienou, Cyprus)
- Co-editor, Book Reviews, American Journal of Archaeology
- Editorial board for Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research and Cahier du Centre d’Études Chypriotes
- Norma and Reuben Kershaw Lecturer in Near Eastern Archaeology, Archaeological Institute of America (2011-2012)
Research and Teaching Interests:
Other Relevant Professional Activities:
Books/Edited Journal Volume
New Approaches to the Elusive Iron Age Polities of Ancient Cyprus. Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 370 (2013), 1-206. [ed. with M. Iacovou]
Crossroads and Boundaries: The Archaeology of Past and Present in the Malloura Valley, Cyprus. ASOR Annual no. 65. (Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research, 2011) [ed. with M. K. Toumazou and P. Nick Kardulias]
The Master of Animals in Old World Iconography (Budapest: Archaeolingua, 2010).
Main Series no. 24. [ed. with B. Arnold]
“Shedding Light on the Cypriot Rural Landscape: Investigations of the Athienou Archaeological Project in the Malloura Valley, Cyprus, 2011-2013.” Journal of Field Archaeology [with M. K.Toumazou et al.]. Forthcoming.
“Myth into Art: Foreign Impulses and Local Responses in Archaic Cypriote Sanctuaries,” in A. B. Knapp and P. van Dommelen (eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of the Bronze and Iron Age Mediterranean (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014). Forthcoming.
“Fitting In: Archaeology and Community in Athienou, Cyprus.” Near Eastern Archaeology 76:3 (2013),166-177. [with E. Cova, et al.]
“Local Style and Regional Trends in Cypriote Limestone Sculpture: The Athienou School,” in M. K. Toumazou, et al. (eds.), Crossroads and Boundaries: The Archaeology of Past and Present in the Malloura Valley, Cyprus (Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research, 2011), 149-162.