Roberto Hernández Center
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

View Brochure or Download Here

About Us

Who does the RHC serve?
The RHC primarily serves Latinx undergraduate students at UWM, however, all students are welcome!

What services are available to me in the RHC?

  • Academic advising
  • Computer station
  • Free Printing (5 pages per day per student)
  • Cultural programming
  • Volunteer opportunities
  • Community connections
  • Welcoming study space

Financial Aid/Scholarships

Where can I find more info on scholarships/financial aid?

How much does it cost to attend UWM?
Calculate your tuition using the following tool:  One Stop Enrollment and Financial Services


How do I make an appointment to meet with an advisor?

  • Call (414) 229-6156
  • Book your appointment online using our campus appointment tool
  • How are students assigned to the RHC?
  • Undecided undergraduate students are assigned to an advisor in the RHC by last name
  • Gabriela Dorantes serves students A-L
  • Monica Olague serves students M-Z

Can I see an advisor in the RHC if I’m not assigned to them?
RHC advisors primarily work with undecided students, however they are here to assist any Latino undergraduate student so feel free to schedule an appointment

What can I talk to my advisor about?

  • Starting the process on how to apply to UWM
  • Academic topics such as:
    • Scheduling courses, add/drop/swap forms
    • deadlines
    • Graduation, major, degree requirements/changing majors
    • Tutoring
    • Grades
    • Issues with a professor
    • Campus resources

Undocumented & DACA Students

I was not born in the U.S., what do I need to know so I can attend college?

  • Residency status
  • Differences in financial aid
  • Educational background
  • Country of origin
  • ESL program

Make an appointment with an RHC advisor to discuss the above topics and more.

Do DACA students qualify for financial aid or scholarships?

  • DACA students are NOT eligible to receive financial aid based on federal regulations, however there are scholarship opportunities available to DACA students. Many private scholarships do not have residency requirements.
  • Undocumented and DACA students are welcome to further discuss individually with one of our academic advisors.
  • For more information visit our Undocu/DACA Resources page

Transfer Students

Am I eligible to transfer?

If you have completed 12 credits of transferable course work you will be considered for admission based on a review of your college records. If you have fewer than 12 transferable credits you may be considered for admission based on a review of both your high school and collegiate records. Most admitted transfer students have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater on all transferable coursework.  Competency in English and mathematics is an important factor in the admission decision. Some selective programs (Peck School of the Arts, School of Architecture and Urban Planning, College of Engineering, College of Nursing) may have additional requirements for direct admission into their majors.

How do I find out which credits are transferable?

After you have been admitted, the UWM Registrar’s Office will perform an official evaluation of your transfer credit. Due to the high number of admitted students who are in need of transfer credit evaluations (UWM enrolls more transfer students than any other institution in Wisconsin!), we are unable to provide a credit evaluation before you are admitted. If you would like to begin to evaluate how your courses may transfer before you receive your official evaluation and you attended a UW System school or a Wisconsin Technical College, you can use the Transfer Information System (TIS) to see how your credits transfer before you receive your official credit evaluation from UWM. You can also check out the Transfer Equivalency Database.

  • Transfer Credits Guide
  • The Transfer Equivalency Database, or TED, is designed to assist students and staff in determining UWM transfer course equivalencies. The results are unofficial. All transfer coursework is subject to review and equivalency determination upon official submission to UWM.
How do I apply?

For more information on which campus to apply to visit Undergraduate Admissions & UW-HELP To apply visit apply.wisconsin.edu.

To speak to someone directly call or visit:
UWM Registrar’s Office
Phone: (414) 229-3800
Email: contactro.uwm.edu
Mellencamp Hall #274
2442 E Kenwood Blvd  Milwaukee, WI 53211

For additional Information visit the UWM Transfer Student website.

Updated: August 2018