The Roberto Hernández Center is dedicated to serving Latino students at UWM as well as the Latino population of southeastern Wisconsin through a three-pronged mission: to provide academic services that promote Latino student success, to engage in outreach to the Latino community and beyond and to support applied research pertinent to Latinos.
The Roberto Hernández Center serves Latino students by facilitating and supporting their academic, social and cultural experience at the university. Our bilingual staff assists students in successfully achieving their educational goals and leading a balanced student life.
For Current Students
- Academic advising and advocacy
- Referrals to campus support services, such as tutoring, mentoring, career development and student organizations
- Information about financial aid and scholarships
- Connections to community resources, such as job and volunteer opportunities
- Latino Studies Certificate Program
For Prospective Students
- School visits and other recruitment activities
- Information about UWM courses of study and admission requirements
- Assistance with application process, enrollment and course selection
- Referrals to financial aid information and scholarship opportunities
The Roberto Hernández Center serves as a liaison to the Latino community. We partner with community organizations to create needed programming and offer a variety of cultural and educational events and activities throughout the year.
- Partnerships that strengthen the southeastern Wisconsin Latino community
- Cultural events and activities that are free and open to the public
- School visits and participation in community events
- Referrals to UWM resources
- Distribution of information to students, staff and community constituents
- E-mail notifications regarding issues pertinent to the Latino community, i.e. news, grant opportunities, job openings and more