- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1979
- M. Phil., Columbia University, 1975
- M.A., Columbia University, 1970
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1969
Research & Teaching Interests:
- 18th-, 19th- and 20th-century painting and sculpture in Europe and America
- Victorian art
- food imagery
- Modern Decorative Arts
- History of Photography
- ArtHist 358:Modern Painting I
- ArtHist 364:Modern Painting II
- ArtHist 368: History of Modern Design
- ArtHist 365: History of Photography
- ArtHist 261: Modern Art
- ArtHist 363: Modern Sculpture
- ArtHist 463: Cubism
- ArtHist 465: Surrealism
- ArtHist 366: German Painting
- ArtHist 351: English Art and Architecture 1530-1900
Other Professional Activities:
- Reader for Art Bulletin, Yale University Press, Columbia University Press, J. Paul Getty Foundation, National Endowment for the Humanities
- Curator for various exhibitions 1989-2009 UWM Art History Gallery
Entries on paintings by Jules Bastien-Lepage, Christian Ludwig Bokelmann, William Adolphe Bouguereau, Cesar de Cock, August Johann Holmberg, Jan van Os, Barend Cornelis Koekkoek for Layton’s Legacy; A Historic American Art Collection by J.C. Eastberg and E. Vogel (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2013).
Kenneth Bendiner, "Ford Madox Brown's Humour" in Ford Madox Brown, Pre-Raphaelite Pioneer, exhibition catalogue, compiled by Julian Treuherz, Manchester Art Gallery, 2011, pp. 37-45.
"Bilder vom Essen" in Augenschmaus. Vom Essen im Stillleben, exhibition catalogue compiled by I. Brugger and H. Eipeldauer, Bank Austria Kunstforum, Vienna, 2010, pp. 44-57.
"Paintings of Kitchens in Western Art," Zhuangshi [China Art & Design Journal, Tsinghua University, Beijing] (Nov. 2010), pp. 37-41.