Financial Aid

Teaching Assistantships

Each semester the department supports some graduate students with teaching assistantship positions. These positions provide tuition remission, a stipend, and access to health care insurance. The duties of teaching assistants may include teaching discussion sections, lecturing, preparing examinations, running laboratory sections, and grading. There is no application for a teaching, assistantship position; the department considers all current and admitted graduate students for any open position. TA eligibility is usually limited to four semesters of support. To review the Graduate School requirements for a TA position and current benefits go to:

Chancellor’s Awards

Two Chancellor’s Graduate Students Awards are offered to newly admitted students each year. These awards combine a grant (ranging from $4,500 to $6,000 a year) with a 50% teaching assistantship. Both the grant and the TA position may be renewed for a second year. Chancellor’s Awards are usually awarded to non-residents applying to the PhD program. No application is needed to be considered for a Chancellor Award.

Non-resident Tuition Remissions (NRTR)

The College of Letters and Sciences offers some non-resident tuition remissions (NRTR) to both MS and PhD students residing outside Wisconsin. These remissions are limited to two years of support. Contact the graduate advisor for information on applying for a NRTR.

Project and Research Assistantships

Project assistantships and research assistantships also support graduate students. Such positions become available as faculty members obtain research grants and positions. Such positions are awarded by the faculty member supported by the research funding.

UWM Graduate School Fellowships

Each year the Graduate School holds a campus-wide competition for Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowships and Distinguished Dissertation Fellowships. The department asks two students to apply for each of these awards. The awards are described at:

The Graduate School also provides some funding for travel to conferences. To see the requirements for this program go to:

Anthropology Research Awards

The department annually provides two research awards to PhD students to conduct preliminary dissertation research. The D. A. Leonard Family Preliminary Dissertation Research Award is for research outside the US, while the Anthropology Department Preliminary Dissertation Research Award is for research in the US. The awards and application process are described at:

Cultural Research Management Program

The Cultural Research Management Program offers employment to students with background in archaeological fieldwork and laboratory work. Salary is commensurate with experience.