Frequently Asked Questions
Internal Page Links
Can I pursue an internship for credit towards my geography major?
Is the internship required for the major?
Who oversees my internship within the department?
Do I need to fill out any forms when enrolling in one of the internship courses?
Will the geography department arrange my internship?
Does the internship fulfill my fieldwork requirement for the major?
Q. Can I pursue an internship for credit towards my geography major?
A. Yes. We have two internship courses that are currently available. The first is Geog 489 – Internship in Geography, Upper Division, and the second is Geography 698 – GIS/Cartography Internship.
- Geog 489 – Internship in Geography, Upper Division Requirements
- Geog 698 – GIS/Cartography Internship Requirements
Q. Is the internship required for the major or minor?
A.If you are a Geography major, it depends on your track. If you are doing the GIS track, you must take Geography 698. If you are doing any other track, the internship is an elective.
If you are completing a Geography minor, an internship is an elective.
If you are completing a GIS minor, you must take Geography 698.
Q. Who oversees my internship within the department?
A. You will need to identify a faculty advisor who does relevant research to supervise the internship. You should consider faculty with whom you have taken a class, and you should look at faculty web pages to understand what their research addresses. For further assistance, consult the internship coordinator, Professor Linda McCarthy.
The faculty supervisor will work in cooperation with your on-site internship supervisor. Both supervisors must sign your completed internship agreement form for the internship to be accepted by the department. Please see the requirements above for details.
Q. Do I need to fill out any forms when enrolling in one of the internship courses?
A. Yes. Here are the agreement forms. Please note that you will need a thorough description of the internship. You will also need signatures from both your faculty supervisor and your on-site internship supervisor.
- Geog 489 – Internship in Geography, Upper Division Approval Form
- Geog 698 – GIS/Cartography Internship Approval Form
Q. Will the geography department arrange my internship?
A. No, we’re not able to do that – you will need to find an internship with an appropriate business or agency on your own, and then seek approval with your faculty (‘track’) adviser. However, your faculty adviser can provide suggestions based on community and alumni connections and past students’ internship experiences. In the future, we aim to provide links to organizations that provide internships in the Milwaukee area. However, this frequently changes, and it is usually better for students to inquire directly with potential organizations.
Q. Does the internship fulfill my fieldwork requirement for the major?
A. Not automatically, although it is possible to fulfill the fieldwork requirement through specific kinds of internships through Geography 489. The important things to know are these:
- In order to fulfill the fieldwork requirement, your internship must involve fieldwork activities amounting to a minimum of 90 hours in field research related activities – in short, the gathering of data in the field (as opposed to an archive, the Internet, etc.).
- In order to use a Geography 489 internship to fulfill your fieldwork requirement, you must obtain faculty approval for your field research project before enrolling. (See the form below. Please note that in order to be considered for approval, you will be expected to list each field work activity separately and note the number of hours devoted to each activity.)
- Internships through Geography 698 – GIS/Cartography Internship do not qualify for the fieldwork requirement.
For the complete guidelines for the fieldwork requirement, please see the following: