The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee offers a limited number of scholarships in the amount of $500 for graduate/upper level undergraduate students demonstrating academic interest in Latin American and/or Caribbean studies. The scholarship may be used for UWM sponsored semester-long or short-term study abroad in the Latin American/Caribbean region, and for other academic opportunities in the region that can be accepted for UWM credit.
Students of all majors are invited to apply.
- Graduate/undergraduate students (junior standing or above) enrolled in a UWM degree program.
- 3.0 GPA or higher and in good standing in their program.
- Demonstrated academic interest in Latin American and/or Caribbean studies.
- Preference given to students who have not received this scholarship previously.
November 1, 2019 (for departure between January 1 and May 14, 2020)
April 1, 2020 (for departure between May 15 and December 31, 2020)
Awards notification will be approximately three weeks after the application due date.
Applications are to be completed on Academic Works. You must complete your general profile on Academic Works first, to be considered for this opportunity as well as all future scholarships. Your profile is a one-time set up that will match you with all available scholarships and awards. You can find the award by searching “Donald Shea” in the website’s search bar.
All materials, including your letters of recommendation, must be received by 11:59pm the day of the deadline. Please reach out to those writing your letters early, so they have enough time to upload them before the deadline.
A complete application consists of:
- General personal/academic information;
- Statement on the intended use for the scholarship and the role of Latin American and/or Caribbean studies in your academic program, and your academic/personal/professional goals;
- Two letters of recommendation from UWM faculty, which will be submitted by the recommenders through Academic Works;
- Your unofficial transcript(s);
- The acceptance letter for your program abroad.
Any questions can be directed to: Aimee Orndorf, firstname.lastname@example.org, UWM Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Northwest Quadrant B-2488
The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies reserves the right to not make an award in a given year if suitable applicants are not available.