The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee offers a limited number of scholarships in the amount of $500 for graduate/upper level undergraduate students demonstrating academic interest in Latin American and/or Caribbean studies. The scholarship may be used for UWM sponsored semester-long or short-term study abroad in the Latin American/Caribbean region, and for other academic opportunities in the region that can be accepted for UWM credit.
- Graduate/undergraduate students (junior standing or above) enrolled in a UWM degree program.
- 3.0 GPA or higher and in good standing in their program.
- Demonstrated academic interest in Latin American and/or Caribbean studies.
- Preference given to students who have not received this scholarship previously.
November 1, 2019 (for departure between January 1 and May 14, 2020)
April 1, 2020 (for departure between May 15 and December 31, 2020)
Awards notification will be approximately two to three weeks after the application due date.
A complete application (found here) consists of:
- General personal/academic information;
- Student Statement, one-page, single-spaced, on the intended use for the scholarship and the role of Latin American and/or Caribbean studies in your academic program;
- Two letters of recommendation from UWM faculty, on letterhead and addressed to the faculty review committee. They may be sent electronically from their university email account or delivered in-person with the envelope sealed and signed by the recommenders with your name and scholarship on the envelope (see below);
- Copy of your unofficial transcript, sent electronically from your UWM email account or delivered in-person, with your name and scholarship on the envelope (see below);
- Uploaded copy of the acceptance letter for your program abroad.
Electronic submission or hand delivery of faculty recommendations and transcripts go to: Aimee Orndorf, firstname.lastname@example.org, UWM Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Northwest Quadrant B-2488
The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies reserves the right to not make an award in a given year if suitable applicants are not available.