Graduate Student/Advanced Undergraduate Student Research-Travel Award Competition
Applicant must be a currently enrolled UWM graduate student or advanced undergraduate and must have a research proposal or paper presentation that focuses on the Latin American/Caribbean region. Priority is given to graduate students. Applications are invited from students enrolled in any UWM College or School.
Categories of Awards (according to priority)
- Field research, including internships abroad or within the United States.
- Presentation of paper at professional conference or workshop.
Number of Awards and Amount*
The number of awards will vary depending on the project and the number of applications, and the amounts will be in the range of $250-$500. Awards are given as reimbursement of expenses after the travel has been completed; receipts will be required according to UW travel regulations. These funds are made available through a cooperative arrangement with the Dean of the College of Letters and Science and CLACS.
Application Due Dates
November 1, 2019 for travel between January 1 (departure) and May 14 (return), 2020
March 15, 2020 for travel between May 15 (departure) and December 31 (return), 2020. Note: March Award is payable after July 1, 2020.
Awards notification will be approximately two to three weeks after the application due date.
A complete application consists of:
- Personal/academic information, type of request, and dates/destination;
- Proposal of 1-2 pages about your research (scholarly purpose, applicable research methodology, anticipated outcome, and project timeline) or an abstract of your conference presentation. For either request please explain how the activity is connected to the CLACS mission as a Latin America/Caribbean national resource center;
- Budget summary of costs that includes travel schedule and total anticipated expenses;
- Uploaded current curriculum vitae (one page);
- Uploaded acceptance of your conference presentation proposal (if applicable);
- One letter of recommendation from your UWM faculty advisor, on department letterhead and addressed to the faculty review committee. This may be sent electronically from their university email account or delivered in-person with the envelope sealed and signed by the recommender with your name and award competition on the envelope (see below);
- For Graduate student applicants, copies of your unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts, for Undergraduate student applicants a copy of your unofficial undergraduate transcript, sent electronically from your UWM email account or delivered in-person, with your name and award competition on the envelope (see below).
Electronic submission or hand delivery of faculty recommendations and transcripts go to: Aimee Orndorf, firstname.lastname@example.org, UWM Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Northwest Quadrant B-2488.
* Depending upon available funds, the review process may take into account the number of times a student has previously received CLACS funding support. The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies reserves the right to not make an award in a given year if suitable applicants are not available.