Graduate Student Research-Conference Award Competition
The Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies, through a collaborative arrangement with the Dean of the College of Letters and Science, offers funding to master’s and doctoral students in any field to support field research in Latin America or the Caribbean; or to support presentations at a professional conference/workshop, or similar opportunity. The typical award ranges from $250-$500. Such activities are an important part of the professional development of graduate students, offering opportunities to establish professional networks, contacts for collaborative research, and sources of potential future employment.
- Currently enrolled UWM graduate student in any program (any UWM College or School)
- Must have a field research proposal, presentation, or other work centered on the Latin American/Caribbean region
Categories of award (according to priority)
- Field research expenditures
- Presentation at a professional conference or workshop, or similar opportunity (Registration/Conference fees, lodging, flight, etc).
- Approved Research Materials/Supplies, such as books, maps, etc.
Note: Conferences/Workshops do not have to take place in Latin America/Caribbean, but the work you’re presenting must be centered on Latin American and/or Caribbean content
October 1, 2022 for expenditures between November 1, 2022-February 28, 2023
February 24, 2023 for expenditures between March 1, 2023-June 30, 2023
March 15, 2023 for expenditures July 1-November 2023
Applications may be accepted on a rolling basis-check with Aimee Orndorf for more information
Students are encouraged to apply by the deadlines, but applications may be accepted throughout the year.
- Graduate Research-Conference Online Application, which consists of:
- Personal/academic information, type of request
- 1-2 page proposal about your research (scholarly purpose, applicable research methodology, anticipated outcome, and project timeline) or an abstract of your conference presentation. For either request please explain how the activity is connected to the CLACS mission as a Latin America/Caribbean national resource center;
- Budget summary of costs that includes schedule and total anticipated expenses;
- Uploaded current curriculum vitae;
- Uploaded acceptance of your conference presentation proposal (if applicable);
- One letter of recommendation from your UWM faculty advisor, on department letterhead and addressed to the faculty review committee. This should be sent electronically from their university email account to Aimee Orndorf (email@example.com)
- Uploaded copy of your unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts
- UWM Travel & Miscellaneous Expense Authorization (TMEA) Form
Failure to secure pre-authorization may result in denied reimbursement of expenses. TMEA must be approved before any purchases occur. However, it is not required that the TMEA is approved by the time the application is submitted.
Please work with Aimee Orndorf before making any purchases. Awardees must comply with the State and UW System travel policies and procedures, UW system regulations, any other Center instructions. Approved expenses may be awarded as a reimbursement through the E-Reimbursement system. Receipts are required. Students planning to drive personal vehicles or rental cars must be registered and authorized by UWM. See the Drivers Risk Management website.
Awards notification will be approximately two to three weeks after the application deadline.
*Depending upon available funds, the review process may take into account the number of times a student has previously received CLACS funding support. CLACS reserves the right to not make an award in a given year if suitable applicants are not available.