Dr. Hosseinizadeh’s research covers different topics in computational biophysics. His work centers around the development of novel methods for the analysis of large-scale data sets from biological molecules to understand the structure and function of these objects. A particular focus of his research is developing data-driven machine learning algorithms to extract the ultrafast structural dynamics of biomolecules at high spatial and temporal resolutions.
Ahmad Hosseinizadeh joined the UWM Physics Department in 2011 and started his work as a postdoctoral research associate and continued as a scientist. He received his doctoral degree in physics from Laval University in Canada in 2010 and earned his M.Sc. and BSc. degrees in physics respectively from the Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences and Bahonar University both in Iran. Dr. Hosseinizadeh holds the rank of Assistant Professor of Physics since 2022.
Ahmad is an active member of BioXFEL, which is a science and technology center supported by NSF and pursues the creation of integrated research and education to study biological molecules using X-ray Free Electron Lasers.
- M. Casadei, A. Hosseinizadeh, G. F. Schertler, A. Ourmazd, R. Santra. “Dynamics retrieval from stochastically weighted incomplete data by low-pass spectral analysis,” Structural Dynamics 9, 044101 (2022).
- Hosseinizadeh, N. Breckwoldt, R. Fung, R. Sepehr, M. Schmidt, P. Schwander, R. Santra, A. Ourmazd. “Few-fs resolution of a photoactive protein traversing a conical intersection,” Nature 599, 697-701 (2021).
- R. Cruz-Chú, A. Hosseinizadeh, G. Mashayekhi, R. Fung, A. Ourmazd, P. Schwander. “Selecting XFEL single-particle snapshots by geometric machine learning”, Structural Dynamics 8, 014701 (2021).
- Shi, K. Yin, X. Tai, H. DeMirci, A. Hosseinizadeh, B. G. Hogue, H. Li, A. Ourmazd, P. Schwander, I. A. Vartanyants, C. H. Yoon, A. Aquila, H. Liu. “Evaluation of the performance of classification algorithms for XFEL single-particle imaging data,” IUCrJ 6, 331-340 (2019).
- A. Hosseinizadeh, G. Mashayekhi, J. Copperman, P. Schwander, A. Dashti, R. Sepehr, R. Fung, M. Schmidt, C. H. Yoon, B. G. Hogue, G. J. Williams, A. Aquila, A. Ourmazd. “Conformational landscape of a virus by single-particle X-ray scattering,” Nature Methods 14, 877-881 (2017).