Register now for the 2022 Graduate School Open House on November 10th in-person.
The Physics graduate program offers broad research opportunities in gravitational physics, cosmology and astrophysics, experimental and theoretical surface science and condensed matter physics, microspectroscopy, molecular and cellular biophysics, and complex systems. Special opportunities exist in the LIGO gravity-wave detector project, and in experimental programs in superconductivity and magnetism, and in experimental and theoretical programs in electron microscopy and holography, synchrotron-based infrared spectroscopy, x-ray and electron diffraction and spectroscopy, and nanostructure growth.
You may request further information about the Physics graduate program by e-mailing email@example.com.
- The Physics Department admits new students only in the Fall Semester.
- Applicants for Fall admission should see that all of their materials have been received by December 15thst.
- Decisions and offers will be made starting in mid-January.
Complete an UWM Graduate School On-line Application Form. Application fees for the University, as well as additional fees for processing of international applications, if applicable, can all be paid on-line. Applicants will need to provide post-secondary transcripts. The general telephone number for the Graduate School is 414/ 229-6569. Their fax is 414/ 229-6967.
Please provide the following documents through the Graduate School Online Application Form:
- Current CV or resume
- Statement of Purpose
- Transcripts (English preferred, if possible, for international applications). Official transcripts are always preferred.
- English proficiency results (TOEFL), if applicable. Scores should be from within 2 years of application. Additional information about the TOEFL tests is available on the site for International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) through the UW-Milwaukee Center for International Education
- Three (3) letters of recommendation. The letters should include relevant information such as how long has the referee have known the applicant, in what capacity, and how they would judge their motivation and abilities to complete a Physics PhD program. The letter must adhere to the following requirements:
- It is on official University (or company/organization) letterhead;
- It is dated;
- It is signed by the referee
The GRE is not required for admission.
They must additionally provide:
- Proof of English proficiency
- Confidential Financial Statement [ PDF Form ]. (Most students are supported by a Teaching Assistantship (TA) or Research Assistantship RA. Therefore, you may just sign this form and return it to expedite processing of your package. If we cannot offer you a TA or RA we will inform you as soon as possible, at which time you can resubmit the form with the other documentation they require.)
For further instructions on how to apply as an international student, please consult the Center for International Education at UWM, which will have the most up-to-date requirements for any international students.
Special Student Status
An individual wishing to enroll in selected graduate courses in physics may register as a Special Student through the UWM Admissions Office. However, courses taken as a special student are not normally counted toward a graduate degree program.