The College of Nursing online PhD program integrates science, theory and research to educate the next generation of nurse scientists and leaders. Our students strive to advance nursing knowledge and translate research into practice that promotes the health and care of patients.
Ranked in the top 10% of graduate nursing programs by U.S. News and World Report, the UWM online PhD in nursing is a research-intensive program that prepares doctoral students as scientists who generate knowledge to advance nursing.
About UW-Milwaukee College of Nursing
As the largest College of Nursing in the state of Wisconsin, UW-Milwaukee partners with over 160 agencies to prepare nurse scientists, researchers and educators. Go beyond the bedside and make an impact on the world around you with a PhD in nursing from UWM.
About Our Online PhD Nursing Program
Similar to graduates of the college’s traditional PhD program, graduates of the online PhD nursing program are ready for careers in education, research and practice, and to assume leadership positions. Students work closely with faculty mentors to define their success early so students can plan and conduct cutting-edge research using a variety of research methods.
Students are admitted as a cohort and are required to attend a one-week orientation at the beginning of the program and return to campus at the end of their program of study. Online courses are offered every two years and must be taken in sequence.
Nursing PhD Handbook (PDF)
Students in the online PhD in Nursing program progress as a cohort, starting in the summer of odd years.
|One week, on-campus orientation|
|Foundations of Inquiry for Health||NURS 801||3|
|Multivariate Statistics||NURS 808||3|
|Issues in Scholarship||NURS 890||3|
|Science of Nursing||NURS 802||3|
|Research Practicum||NURS 899||1|
|Qualitative Methods in Health Research||NURS 882||3|
|Quantitative Methods in Health Research||NURS 883||3|
|Measurement in Health Research||NURS 881||3|
|First Year Exam (Summer)|
|Choose one advanced methods course: |
|Research Practicum||NURS 889||2|
|Analysis of Nursing Phenomena||NURS 820||3|
|Health Policy||NURS 803||3|
|Integrative Studies||NURS 809||3|
|Two weeks, on-campus requirement (Summer)|
|Doctoral Independent Study (Comprehensive Exam)||NURS 897||1|
|Dissertator Status||NURS 997||1|
|Dissertator Status||NURS 997||3|
All applicants must apply through the Graduate School’s application system and upload the following:
- a nonrefundable application fee;
- unofficial transcripts from each academic institution attended where at least nine or more credits were attempted or completed. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts after an admission offer is accepted;
- current curriculum vitae;
- references from three different people who know about your academic experience and your potential for graduate study in nursing.
- a written statement from the applicant that includes previous professional experience, professional career goals, research interests, motivation for PhD study and educational objectives for the program.
- Two examples of original work that demonstrate the applicant’s academic potential.
- A conversation with a faculty member is required as part of the application process. A telephone conversation or video meeting (e.g. Zoom, Skype) may be used when travel is prohibitive.
Applicants to the UWM Online PhD in Nursing must have:
- a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in nursing or health-related field from a professionally accredited program with a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 (4.0 scale) for all previous graduate coursework;
- Current GRE scores are required for applicants with an undergraduate and graduate GPA below a 3.20 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the Graduate School. Visit the GRE website for more information about preparation and registration.
- completion of a graduate-level statistics course (within the last five years) with a grade of B or higher or must complete within the first semester of the program;
- Bachelor-prepared applicants must complete fifteen credits PRIOR to entering the Online PD program: NURS 720, 725, 735, 728 and 804. Contact academic advisor to create a plan.
UWM College of Nursing Approved Graduate Statistics Courses:
|UW-Milwaukee||Biostatistics (Online/On-Campus)||NURS 720|
|UW-Stevens Point||Basic Statistical Methods for Social Science (On-Campus)||SOC 590|
|UW-Stevens Point||Basic Statistical Methods in Education (Online)||EDUC 705|
|Penn State World campus||Applied Statistics||STATS 500|
|UMass Online||Introduction to Probability and Applied Statistics||EEOS 601|
|University of Phoenix||Applied Business Research and Statistics||QNT 561|
|University of Phoenix||Statistics For The Behavior Sciences||PSYC 625|
|UCLA Extension||Advanced Statistics and Quantitative Methods||STATS 402.1|