Whether you’re already a higher education instructor or looking to break into teaching at the college level, this multidisciplinary, 15-credit graduate certificate from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee will set you apart from the competition.
While many graduate programs train students to become experts in their fields, few focus on the tools needed to succeed in the classroom. This certificate will ensure you have a deeper understanding of the research and theory behind teaching and learning, a real asset for your students — and your career.
Why Choose Our Program?
- Internationally known faculty at Wisconsin’s most diverse university.
- Small class sizes that allow you to really get to know your professors and classmates.
- Unbeatable flexibility — classes meet once a week, alternating weeks and online (you can even do the entire program online).
- Rewarding career opportunities teaching at universities, vocational and technical colleges, or in adult continuing education programs.
For more information or questions about the program
Webpage url: www.teachhe.uwm.edu
Required Core Courses (6 credits)
ADLDSP 757*: Principles and Foundations of Adult Education – 3 credits
ADLDSP 687*: Instructional Design and Teaching Strategies – 3 credits
ADLDSP 900: Role of the Professoriate – 3 credits
CURRINS 774: College Teaching – 3 credits
Elective Courses (6 credits)
Core courses not taken in the six required limit can also be taken as electives.
ADLDSP 703*: Resources for Self-Directed Learning – 1 credit
ADLDSP 704*: Using Synchronous and Asynchronous Technologies for Advising, Teaching and Academic Support – 1 credit
ADLDSP 706*: Professional Development for Online Instruction – 1 credit
ADLDSP 707*: Using Technology with Adult Learners – 3 credits
ADLDSP 737*: Distance Education for Adults – 3 credits
ADLDSP 740*: Seminar in Innovative Technology for Learning in Education – 3 credits
ADLSDP 827*: Seminar in Adult and Organizational Learning – 3 credits
COMMUN 727: Seminar in Communication and E-Learning – 3 credits
COMMUN 827: Seminar in Programs in Adult Communication – 3 credits
COMMUN 837: Instructional Communication in the College Classroom – 3 credits
EDPSY 631: Cognition: Learning, Problem Solving and Thinking – 3 credits
Required Practicum (3 credits)
ADLDSP 750*: Internship in Administrative Leadership (Practicum) – 3 credits
NOTE: These credits should not be taken before completion of at least 9 credits of coursework.
The practicum should be a project that revolves around teaching and learning in higher education, and should result in a scholarly paper analyzing teaching and learning with references (peer review, research findings, etc.) and merit 3 credits.
* Courses offered online.
- Applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree prior to admission, must have a minimum 2.75 cumulative undergraduate grade point average, and must declare their intent to pursue the certificate before completion of six credits in the certificate sequence.
- Applicants with a graduate degree must have a minimum 3.00 graduate grade point average.
- Applicants not already admitted to the Graduate School must complete the UWM Graduate School Online Admission Application. Select “Graduate courses for personal/professional enrichment” as your reason for applying.
2 in 1: Earn A Master’s Degree & Certificate
At the UW-Milwaukee School of Education Department of Administrative Leadership, you can earn a Master’s degree and a certificate, individually or at the same time. These offerings are perfect for anyone looking to advance their career in higher education, adult and continuing education, and for educators in the healthcare field.
Note: You must complete an application (including the application fee) for both programs.
Job Titles of ACHEA Graduates
Check the job titles of ACHEA graduates:
Stay in Touch with Us
We post job announcements and opportunities on our social media.