Community engagement at the School of Education includes partnerships with schools, school districts and nonprofit organizations to collaborate on projects that help individuals and communities thrive.
On This Page
Partnerships & Collaborations
UWM’s School of Education faculty engage in a number of projects in the Greater Milwaukee area including:
- Culturally Responsive Curriculum
- Parental Involvement
- Adjustment to Immigrant Families
- Academic Achievement
- Race Relations
- Transition to College
- Digital Histories
Partnering Schools, Districts and Nonprofits
A partial list of some of the schools, school districts and nonprofit organizations where research teams from the School of Education are present in the community:
- State of Wisconsin – Department of Public Instruction
- Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS)
- Brown Deer School District
- Shorewood School District
- Greendale School District
- Racine Unified School District
- Milwaukee Area Technical College
- United Community Center
- Silver Spring Community Center
- Walnut Way Organization
- Urban Ecology Center
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin
- City of Milwaukee – Office of the District Attorney
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Milwaukee Public Library
- Next Door Milwaukee
- Educare Milwaukee
- La Casa Esperanza
- Council for the Spanish Speaking
- Journey House
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Community Engagement Opportunities
The Office of Charter Schools was established to implement state legislation authorizing the operation of charter schools. It serves as the review and monitoring organization as defined by the legislation.
Council on Professional Education
The Council on Professional Education is the development and coordinating body of the Comprehensive Assessment System for UWM programs leading to Wisconsin licensure in the areas of teacher education, administration and pupil services.
Institute for Urban Education
The Institute for Urban Education (IUE) provides urban education opportunities for preservice teachers, in-service teachers and scholars. The IUE is a University of Wisconsin System program housed at UW-Milwaukee.
The School of Education connects students to a range of professional development opportunities. These include courses in reading, mathematics, test prep and cultural sensitivity.
UWM Writing Project
The UWM Writing Project is an affiliate of the National Writing Project. Participants take part in writing exercises and reflections, and strengthen their knowledge as teachers of writing.