If you do not plan on getting a driver’s license, it is recommended that you get a Wisconsin State ID.
Wisconsin State ID
- Can be used as identification instead of carrying your passport.
- For those of legal age, it can be used to buy tobacco (21) and alcohol (21).
- Can be used to enter age-restricted locations such as bars and dance clubs.
- Can be used to obtain a Milwaukee Public Library Card.
- A Wisconsin State ID can be obtained at any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) location.
- More information including cost can be found at: Wisconsin DMV Official Government Site – Obtaining an identification (ID) card
Wisconsin Driver’s License
- A driver’s license is considered official ID and can be used for all the reasons above, so if you plan on getting it, the state ID is not necessary.
- Typically your home country’s driving permit can be used for one year from entry; however, you will need to check with the DMV to ensure your license is accepted.
- A written test and possibly a road test are required.
- If under 21 a Probationary License will be issued.
- For more information, including cost, go to Wisconsin DMV Official Government Site – Application for a driver license
Here’s an example of what your WI Diver’s License will look like: