July 7, 2020

K. Dolan reported that the Town Hall meeting Q&A has been posted online; additional Town Hall meetings will be scheduled for several groups in the future.

K. Dolan reported on the June 30 Budget Meeting. The working estimates suggest a $25-55 million shortfall depending on the size of the state cut, final enrollment numbers and the number of students returning to campus in fall. The campus is using the $35 million estimate as the most likely projection in its budget plan, with $3 million coming from the state through CARES to offset PPE etc. costs, $7 million from balance reserves and $25 million from expense reductions. Another round of position-specific furloughs is projected for fall/spring 2020/2021. The model for FY 2021/22 and moving forward will include permanent reductions, including programmatic changes, consolidations, layoffs, etc. There is no plan at this point to increase the number of intermittent furlough days but individual units will be required to institute additional cuts. Units have already had to cut 5% but a 7% cut in addition will mean a total of 12% for all units; this is likely to be a permanent base cut going forward. No borrowing authority will be approved by the Legislature. UG enrollments are down 9% from last year but because registration is spread across the summer a real comparison is not possible yet. The number of returning students is down 1% but those students are registering for fewer credits.

There were no members reports.

The UC officially acknowledged the contributions of Stephen Meyer III, past UC member and Professor Emeritus of History at UW-Milwaukee, who passed away on June 22, 2020.