Congratulations on choosing the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee – we’re thrilled to welcome you to the Panther Family! Orientation will introduce you to our campus, the network of support you have access to, and to other students.
Orientation Registration for Spring is closed
Along with online orientation, international students are also required to attend an on-campus orientation program on January 19th. For additional resources for students, explore the Center for International Education website: https://www.isssconnect.uwm.edu/
Orientation Registration Steps
You will be invited via email to sign up online for Orientation after you have completed the following items:
Step 1: Confirm your commitment to attend UWM in your PAWS account.
Step 2: Complete the “Pre-Orientation” To Do List item in your PAWS account. This Pre-Orientation is required for all incoming students.
Step 3: Complete Housing & UWM Course Placement Requirements (if applicable)
|Freshman Students||Transfer Students (Optional)|
|Course Placement||All new freshmen and transfer students that do not have any math or English courses transferred to UWM are required to complete course placement for their math and English courses. Some students will be placed into courses based on test scores you have already provided to UWM and others may need to take free online placement tests. Please read this webpage about course placement requirements for international students to determine if you will need to complete any online placement tests before registering for your courses.||Course Placement will be informed if they will need to take placement tests after communicating with their academic advisor.|
|Housing||Submit the University Housing Contract (and pay the $100 University Housing deposit) OR submit an Exemption Form (may be completed before or after the Course Placement step). For questions regarding Housing, please contact them by visiting their website.||If you are interested in living in University Housing, please follow this link for more information: https://uwm.edu/housing/students/new-transfer-students/|
Step 4: Register for Orientation!
Orientation is a required program for international freshmen and transfer students. See the bottom of the page for details on the requirement. After you register, you’ll immediately receive a confirmation with detailed information and the next steps to complete your Online Orientation.
Changing Your Major
Part of your orientation experience is based on the major that you selected when you applied to UWM. If you want to change your major, you are required to contact your CIE admissions counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit Your ID Photo [Required] Prior to Orientation, you need to submit the photo you would like to appear on your PantherCard. All you have to do is take a photo of yourself and upload it through the GET UWM app, PantherCard’s online management system. Go here to the PantherCard Office website for detailed instructions and requirements for your photo.
Credit Agreement [Required]
Before being able to register for classes, you must complete your credit agreement. You can complete it through your PAWS account, by clicking “Credit Agreement” on your To Do List items.
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) [Required] Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA). Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an additional layer of security that keeps your account safe. With MFA, you will be using something you know (your password) with something you have (your device/smartphone) to confirm your identity. For more details on how to enroll, sign in, and manage your devices please review instructions: https://kb.uwm.edu/74163
UWM Email [Required]
Your email account is through Outlook and you can log in to the Microsoft suite here. Your email address is your ePantherID followed by @uwm.edu (email@example.com). Login with your full email address and your ePanther ID password.
One of the most important things you will do as part of your Orientation experience is register for your first semester of classes. An advisor will help guide you on requirements for your major, but it’s a good idea to explore classes that fit your interests if you have room in your schedule. You can look at the schedule of classes for some ideas.
Students who have an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) hold in their PAWS account will be contacted by ELA at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps. For further information or questions, contact ELA at email@example.com or 414-229-5757.
Check out the full array of Family engagement opportunities! We recommend you do the following to get the most out of the (optional) Family Orientation programming:
- Talk to your student about their academic classes since you won’t be joining them for class registration.
- Provide your email address to get on the PantherFamilies email list.
- Connect with your student after the program to hear what they learned.
Engage with UWM
Check out the Admitted Student website to see if there are any fun events you’d be interested in joining!
Complete the Canvas Orientation Module
You will have access to the Online Orientation module hosted on UWM’s online learning platform, Canvas as soon as you register for a program. After being enrolled in the Orientation course, you will complete all modules, videos, and quizzes, including the course evaluation to receive full credit. If this course is not completed, you will not be able to enroll in courses.
Register for Classes
It is required for Freshman and Transfer students to complete the Orientation Course before they can register for courses.
- New Freshman Only: After you complete the course, you are required to meet with an advisor before you register for courses. You can set up an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate.
- Transfers Only: It is highly encouraged you make an advising appointment before you register for courses. You can make an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate. You will be able to register for courses anytime after your enrollment appointment.
Attend On-Campus Orientation program
This required on-campus Orientation program on Thursday, January 19th is hosted by the Center for International Education and New Student Programs. Explore campus, complete necessary next steps, meet campus staff and resources, and interact with fellow international students.
As a result of completing Orientation…
- Students will be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal and social issues.
- Students will take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Students will feel welcomed, comfortable, engaged and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Students will grow in their understanding and respect of others in a diverse community.
- Review all of your Orientation materials from your folder and the Student Handbook link provided
- Review the PRIDE Message to set yourself up for success
- Begin your On Campus Job search
- Join Presence to browse student organizations
- Check out our Campus Events calendar
- Get in the right frame of mind for college by checking out our topic-based student videos
How do I complete Orientation?
- You can participate in Orientation by completing the online Canvas course. Click “Orientation Registration for Spring” at the top of this page to go to the Orientation registration page. Once you register, you will receive an email with instructions on how to enroll in the course and complete next steps
I have an EAP hold on my PAWS account?
- Students who have an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) hold in their PAWS account will be contacted by ELA at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps. For further information or questions, contact ELA at email@example.com or 414-229-5757.
When will I be able to sign up for classes?
- It is highly encouraged you to make an advising appointment before you register for courses. You can make an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate.
I want to change my major. How do I do that?
- Part of your orientation experience is based on the major that you selected when you applied to UWM. If you want to change your major, you are required to contact your International Admissions Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m considering waiting to start at UWM until next semester. How do I do that, and should I do it?
- If you want to defer your admission, please complete this online form.
- There are a lot of implications of deferring your admission — it’s best to speak or email with your International Admissions Counselor at email@example.com before you make a decision and submit the form.
The Orientation Requirement
Orientation is an exciting opportunity for you to get familiar with your new community. We’ll show you all the ways you can be a part of the UWM community, find a group of friends, and get help during your time at UWM. Our talented team of Orientation Leaders will guide you through the program and share their stories about their experience on campus. Orientation will help you:
- Be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal and social issues.
- Take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Feel welcomed, comfortable, engaged and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Grow in their understanding and respect of others is a diverse community.
- Connect your past academic experiences to the UWM context.
Orientation is a required program because navigating the transition to college can be challenging. We want you to have access to all the tools, knowledge, and support that you can to make your transition to UWM as seamless as possible. We’re committed to your success and can’t wait to welcome you to your new community!