Graduate FAQs

Question: What do I need to do to apply to Graduate School?
A: See Application Procedures and Graduate School Online Application.

Question: What about financial aid?
A: See Scholarships.

Question: What is the difference between the MA in Spanish, the MA in Language, Literature, and Translation (MALLT), and the MA in Translation and Interpreting Studies?
A: The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers an MA in Spanish that provides students with a solid foundation in Latin American Literature, Spanish Peninsular Literature and Hispanic Linguistics. Students interested in a double concentration in two different areas, such as Spanish and French, Spanish and Linguistics, or Spanish and Translation, can apply to the MALLT program. Students interested specifically in the fields of translation or interpretation in Spanish or any other language should apply to the Translation and Interpreting Studies progam. (Provide link to underlined programs)

Question: Do I have to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or any other special admissions exam?
A: Neither the Graduate School nor the Department of Spanish and Portuguese requires the GRE; MALLT still requires that all prospective students take the GRE although there is no required minimum score. International students must take the TOEFL. See Center for International Education.

Question: Is there any sort of placement test?
A: Prospective Teaching Assistants must take a proficiency test prior to being awarded a TAship.

Question: Can I study abroad and, if so, will the courses count?
A: While the Department of Spanish and Portuguese does encourage students to study abroad, in order to receive credit, such courses must be approved in writing by the student’s major advisor and the Department Chair in advance of travel. There are limits to the number of credits allowed.

Question: Can I take courses outside of the Department?
A: Yes, with the consent of the Graduate Advisor and Department Chair, students in Spanish may take some electives outside of the department.

Question: What is the deadline for applying to grad school?
A: See the Graduate School Deadlines. The Department has no fixed deadline.

Question: How long does it take to get an M.A.?
A: The MA degree requires 30 credits and a Comprehensive Exam. It is possible to complete this work in 4-5 semesters although students are allowed up to 5 years to complete all requirements.