UWM Schedule of Classes – Portuguese
UW-Milwaukee is the only other university in Wisconsin besides UW-Madison that offers Portuguese on a regular basis. We offer an undergraduate minor in Portuguese.
The Undergraduate Minor in Portuguese consists of 18 credits from courses numbered 203 or above. Nine credits must be taken at the 300-level or above. Students with no previous Portuguese language experience should enroll in 103. After consultation with the department, a student may enroll in a course higher than 103. If, after having been placed in a certain course, the student passes it with a grade of at least B, s/he can receive retroactive credit, to a maximum of 14 credits, for the courses leading to the one into which s/he placed.
The Portuguese Program consists of the basic four-semester sequence of courses 103, 104, 203, and 204, and of:
- 110 and 111, Accelerated Portuguese, a two-semester sequence of intensive courses equal to the 103-204 sequence
- 215, Immersion
- 225, Understanding Brazil (Subtitled)
- 310, Composition and Conversation
- 360, Luso-Brazilian Culture (a course in English focusing on a different topic each time it is offered)
- 380, Brazilian Literature in Translation
- 446, The Portuguese Speaking World: Sociolinguistic Perspectives
- 699, Independent Study
Students taking Portuguese at UWM are eligible for the competitive Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS), coordinated by the UWM Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS). For more information about these fellowships, please access the CLACS website.
For more information on the Portuguese Program, contact Portuguese Language Coordinator, Susana Antunes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portuguese Courses Flyers:
Summer 2021: Accelerated Online Portuguese 110