Intensive, comprehensive, innovative and nationally ranked. All of this describes the DNP/MBA program jointly offered by the College of Nursing and Lubar College of Business at UWM.
The program provides a unique opportunity to get a cutting-edge education in advanced nursing practice and business. Graduates are prepared for roles as executives and managers in the health care industry with the highest level of clinical nursing competence.
UW-Milwaukee’s location in the health care, corporate and financial capital of Wisconsin provides DNP/MBA students access to faculty and mentors who lead in their professions and their health care system.
This unique program is designed for current and emerging nurse leaders and administrators. The cohort is small, the curriculum diverse and demanding. The graduates already are personalizing and improving the clinical care experience for patients and transforming health care delivery in southeastern Wisconsin.
The DNP/MBA offers a Fall start with 83 credits.
|Theoretical Foundations of Advanced Nursing||NURS 735||3|
|Adv. Perspectives on Cultural Diversity and Disparities in Health Care||NURS 726||3|
|Accounting Analysis and Control||BUS MGMT 704||3|
|Evidence-Based Practice||NURS 725||3|
|Corporate Finance||BUS MGMT 705||3|
|Epidemiological Principles for Population Health||NURS 725||3|
|Outcomes and Quality Management||NURS 750||3|
|Information Systems for Clinical Decision Making||NURS 773||3|
|Managing in a Dynamic Environment||BUS MGMT 706||3|
|Information Tech. Mgt. in International Businesses||BUS MGMT 707||3|
|Predictive Analytics for Managers||BUS MGMT 709||3|
|Nursing Administration||NURS 770||3|
|Health Policy||NURS 803||3|
|Translational and Implementation Science||NURS 805||3|
|Health Care Organization and Systems Leadership for Advanced Practice||NURS 804||3|
|Marketing Strategy Concepts and Practice||BUS MGMT 708||3|
|Global Supply Chain||BUS MGMT 711||3|
|Nurse Executive Practicum I||NURS 826||3|
|Strategic Mgt. in Health Care Organizations||BUS MGMT 720||3|
|DNP Project Plan I: Plan||NURS 993||2|
|Nurse Executive Practicum II||NURS 827||3|
|Nurse Executive Practicum III||NURS 828||3|
|Human Resource Mgt||BUS ADM 738||3|
|DNP Project II: Proposal||NURS 994||2|
|DNP Project III: Leadership Practice Immersion||NURS 995||4|
Specialty Course Options
|Course||Course Number||Time Offered||Credits|
|Health Care Acct., Law, and Ethics||BUS MGMT 727||Odd years, Fall only||3|
|Health Care Adm. and Delivery Systems||BUS ADM 755||Even years, Fall only||3|
|Managed Care and Integrated Health Networks||BUS ADM 757||Odd years, Spring only||3|
|Economics of Health Care and Health Care Systems||NURS 711||Even years, Spring only||3|
To be considered for admission, all applicants must apply through the Graduate School’s application system, Panthera. Select Apply Now, College of Nursing, and choose the DNP program of interest. You will need to submit the Graduate School application with the following:
- a nonrefundable application fee;
- unofficial transcripts from each academic institution attended where at least nine or more credits were attempted or completed.
- applicants are required to submit official transcripts after an admission offer is accepted.
- current curriculum vitae;
- references from three different people who know about your academic experience and your potential for graduate study in nursing.
- personal statement: three to four pages, double-spaced, addressing the following five components:
- Overview of professional experiences
- Short- and long-term professional goals
- Nursing practice interests
- Motivation for pursuing a doctoral degree
- Educational objectives you hope to pursue if admitted;
- two original works that reflect your scholarship and writing ability. Examples of original works could be: evidence-based projects, clinical guidelines, examples of QI/QA projects in which you had a primary role and published articles reflecting aspects of research. If you do not have two examples of scholarly work, you may substitute one or two written papers in lieu of one or both original works. The papers must be five to seven pages in length using APA format. Choose from the following paper topics:
- Select a current controversial issue facing health care today and discuss the issue. Provide a description of the issue, the controversy and its impact on health care providers
- Funding primary prevention has been cited as a potential cost containment measure towards controlling skyrocketing health
care costs. Define primary prevention and provide examples of how this might be true
- Advanced practice nurses (APNs) fill a unique niche in health care delivery. Discuss the role of APNs and their impact on health care outcomes.
- RN license: submit evidence of your current RN license from the United States (must include license number);
- an interview with a faculty member may be requested.
Prerequisites for the UWM DNP/MBA
Applicants must have:
- a bachelor’s degree or a master’s in nursing from a professionally accredited program with a minimum grade point average of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale);
- one year of clinical experience relevant to the chosen specialty;
- completion of an upper-level undergraduate course in statistics (within the last five years) with a grade of B or higher;
- completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) if the previous undergraduate and graduate GPA calculated by the Graduate School is less than 3.2.
The below courses are approved undergraduate statistics courses that qualify for the UW-Milwaukee Master of Nursing and Doctor of Nursing Practice program prerequisite.
|UW-Milwaukee||Educational Statistical Methods I||ED PSY 624|
|UW-Milwaukee||Statistics in the Health Professions||KIN 270|
|UW-Milwaukee||Elementary Statistical Analysis||MTHSTAT 215|
|UW-Milwaukee||Psychological Stats||PSYCH 210|
|UWM at Waukesha||Statistical Methods in Psychology||CGS PSY 210|
|UWM at Waukesha||Elementary Statistics||CGS MATH 215|
|Milwaukee Area Technical College||Basic Statistics||MATH 210|
|Madison College||Basic Statistics||MATH 240|
|UW Colleges Online||Statistical Methods in Psychology||PYSCH 210|
|UW Colleges Online||Elementary Statistics||MATH 117|
|UW-Extension Independent Learning||Elementary Statistics||U3600-246|
|UW-Green Bay||Introductory Statistics||MATH 260|
|UW-LaCrosse||Elementary Statistics||MATH 145|
|UW-Madison||Introduction to Statistical Methods||STATS 301|
|UW-Parkside||Psychological Statistics||PSYCH 250|
|UW-Whitewater||Educational Statistics||ED FOUNDATIONS 482|
|Alverno College||Probability and Statistics||MGT 250 or BSC 256|
|Cardinal Stritch||Applied Statistics||MT 120|
|Carthage College||Applied Stats for Management and Economics||BUS 2340|
|Jackson College (online)||Introduction to Probability and Statistics||MATH 133|
|Lakeland College||Probability and Statistics||MAT 220|
|Marian University||Intro to Probability and Statistics||MAT 122|
|Marquette University||Modern Elementary Statistics||MATH 1700|
|Marquette University||Psychological Measurements and Statistics||PSYC 2001|
|Marquette University||Social Statistics||SOCI 2060|