students in snow

Students earning a bachelor’s degree from the College of Letters & Science will find detailed information here to help them navigate their college experience.

However, it is strongly recommended that you meet with your academic advisor at least once per semester to:

  • discuss your overall academic and career goals;
  • review your academic progress;
  • develop long- and short-term plans for completion of your requirements; and
  • select appropriate classes for your next semester.

Every student has unique needs, background and circumstances that can be addressed individually in consultation with an advisor.

Who is My Letters & Science/College Advisor

  1. Log into your PAWS Account.
  2. Find your advisor’s name in the lower, right-hand area.
  3. Contact your advisor. We recommend using the Navigate360 portal where you can see in real time the available appointments and schedule yourself into an opening. Alternatively, call (414)229-4654 or e-mail your advisor directly.

I Need an L&S/College Advisor

If you are a current UWM student in a program outside of Letters & Science but want to transfer to L&S, options include:

  • If you are sure you wish to declare a new major and have a cumulative GPA of 1.75 or higher, visit that program’s website and complete the Declaration of Major form. You will be assigned an L&S advisor and then can schedule an appointment using the Navigate360 portal. If you wish to meet with an advisor before your declaration has been processed, call (414) 229-4654 to request an appointment.
  • If you want to talk to an L&S advisor first before making your decision or if you are not in good standing, call (414) 229-4654 or e-mail for an appointment.
  • If you wish to declare an L&S minor or certificate, visit that program’s website and complete the Declaration of Minor form or Declaration of Certificate form. If you only have a minor or certificate in L&S, you will not receive an L&S advisor and will receive advising from a faculty or staff member in the program.

You can find a program’s website by visiting our L&S academics page or by googling UWM + the program name.


To graduate, students must fulfill different sets of requirements: major requirements, UWM general requirements, and College of Letters & Science requirements. Learn more about what is needed to graduate.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Understand the different advisors you may be assigned and their role in supporting your educational journey.
Undergraduate Advising
See a list of our advisors.
Advisors List
Advice for choosing a program, when to do so and how to declare.
Choosing a Program
For students who intend to earn a degree by taking only online classes.
Understand policies for how grades are calculated, what different grades mean, how to achieve honors based on grades, how to appeal a grade, academic probation, and more.
Information about credit load, placement options, retroactive credits and more.
Placement, Courses & Credits
Various types of honors are given to students based on academic performance. Learn about the different honors options and honors societies.
Add, drop, repeat, appeals, and withdrawal information and forms.
Policies and Forms


An overview of the scholarship process for Letters & Science students.
Letters & Science Scholarships

Experiential Learning

Campus Resources

UWM offers a wide range of on-campus resources, such as academic support and mental health resources. Students also find community within our student centers.

Photo of UWM Campus from above looking south, with downtown Milwaukee in background.