How is my UWM grade point average calculated?

Only coursework taken at UWM is included in your UWM grade point average. Your UWM GPA takes into account the grade you received and the number of credits of the course. See the Registrar’s Grading page for a complete explanation of the point system used to calculate the GPA. For transfer sudents, although your previous grades are not calculated into your UWM GPA, they are included in calculations used to determine eligibility to graduate.

How do I make the Dean’s Honor list?

Letters and Science students who earn a semester grade point average of 3.75 or higher on at least 12 graded credits will be placed on the Dean’s Honor list. Letters are sent via email in February for Fall grades and in June for Spring grades.

How can I raise my GPA?

The fastest way to raise a GPA is to repeat a course. When the exact same course is re-taken at the exact same place it was orginally taken, the higher grade replaces the lower grade and only the higher grade is calculated in the GPA. However, both grades are used when a course is repeated at two different colleges (e.g. at MATC and at UWM). A higher grade on the repeat will help raise a GPA but not as quickly since the original grade is still present in the student’s record and it continues to pull down the GPA. Most classes can only be repeated once. See our repeat policy for more information about requesting an exception for multiple repeats.

Why am I on academic probation and what happens next?

If your cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation. This is a warning that you may be in jeopardy of being academically dismissed from UWM. You should see your advisor immediately.

Students can still enroll but if they do not earn a term GPA of at least 2.0 in the following semester they will be academically dropped for one semester. If this happens, students are allowed to return to UWM after sitting out one semester. Students re-enter on “final probation.” A student in “final probation” status must maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher to avoid being dropped for two years. As long as the semester GPA remains above a 2.0, a student can stay in final probation status and continue enrolling. Once the cumulative GPA rises above 2.0, the final probation status will be removed.

How do I get reinstated after being academically dropped?

Students who have not sat out the required period of time can file an appeal to request reinstatement. Appeals will only be considered if significant and extenuating non-academic reasons can be presented. Students may be asked to provide verifiable documentation of medical- related or other circumstances. Contact your advisor for more information regarding an appeal.

What does an F0 – F16 grade mean?

When reporting a grade of ‘F,’ instructors will also report a number corresponding to the student’s “week of last participation” in the course. This is the last week of the term for which there is documented evidence of the student’s participation in the course. A student receiving the grade of ‘F0’ would, therefore, be one who never attended or participated, whereas a student grade of ‘F16’ would signify completion of the entire term. The numeral for “week of last participation” will be reflected on unofficial transcripts, but official transcripts will only show “F.”

How do I formally appeal a grade?

Please read and follow the steps for the College of Letters & Science Grade Appeal Procedure.

What happens with an Incomplete (I) grade?

An incomplete may be given to an undergraduate who has carried a subject successfully until near the end of the semester but, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond that student’s control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination or to complete some limited amount of term work. An incomplete is not given unless the student proves to the instructor that s/he was prevented from completing course requirements for just cause as indicated on our policies page.

A course marked incomplete must be completed during the next succeeding semester, excluding summer sessions and UWinterim. If the student does not remove the incomplete during this period, the report of “I” will lapse to “F”. With approval of the instructor, additional time may be granted through a request to the instructor for an Extended Incomplete (“EI”), including cases where the “I” lapsed to “F”. The determination to assign an “EI” grade is at the sole discretion of the instructor or, if an instructor cannot be contacted, the department chair. The “EI” grade will lapse to “F” after one calendar year unless a final grade is awarded or another extension is requested by the instructor or department.

Incomplete (“I”) or Extended Incomplete (“EI”) courses may not be used to satisfy degree requirements. Incomplete (“I”) or Extended Incomplete (“EI”) courses will be converted to Permanent Incomplete (“PI”) prior to degree posting if not required for graduation. The PI does not change the impact of the “F” grade on the student’s record. It is equivalent to earning the lapsed “F” grade in terms of how it affects the student’s GPA and GPA credits.