Students have a number of options within the Global Studies Program.
Within the major there are five tracks to choose from, allowing students to specialize in a particular area of global interest:
- Global Communication
- Global Health
- Global Management
- Global Sustainability
- Global Security
Several of these degrees are jointly conferred by the College of Letters & Science and another professional college at UWM. For example, the Global Management track is a collaborative program with the UWM Lubar College of Business.
The minor in Global Studies is broad-based and does not offer specialty tracks. Students receive a well-rounded overview of global issues as part of the minor to complement any other major.
Advanced students who enter their first year prepared to take upper-level classes in a world language other than English may be interested in the accelerated master’s program. This program can lead to a bachelor’s degree in Global Studies and a Saster’s degree in Translation and Interpreting Studies in five years total instead of six. Students interested in this option should consult with their advisor by the middle of their first year
Prospective Students (not yet enrolled at UWM)
Specific questions about Global Studies, such as research opportunities, internship opportunities, major requirements, etc., should be directed to Christine Wolf.
Follow Us on Social Media
Undergraduate Programs in Global Studies
In addition to the traditional major and minor options, we have an accelerated program. Students who begin their first year at UWM with advanced skills in a language other than English can earn both the bachelor’s degree in Global Studies and a Master’s degree in Translation and Interpreting Studies in five years instead of six. Students interested in this option should consult with their advisor by the middle of their first year.
Major, Minor, and Accelerated Degrees
Ready to Declare?
Select the declaration that’s right for you, and you will find more instructions on how to declare and what to expect.
Global Studies Highlights
Value of Global Competence for Career Growth
Global Studies Virtual Information Session
- The main differences between the Global Studies and International Studies programs
- Meet alumni and learn about careers and opportunities after graduation
- Hear about a current student’s experience in the program
- How the experiential requirements work
- Where internship sites are being developed for students
- How to make an appointment or get more information.
Global Studies News
- Momcilovic Discusses Zombies on Central TimeOn October 23, Dr. Drago Momcilovic (Comparative Literature and Global Studies) was a guest during the call-in show "Central Time" on the Ideas Network, answering questions about COMPLIT 135, Experiencing Literature in the 21st Century: Zombie Metaphors, as well as … Read more
- Pickering-Iazzi in conversation on her latest translationOn September 20, Prof. Robin Pickering-Iazzi had the opportunity to engage in a lively online conversation of her translation of Maria Rosa Cutrufelli's Tina, Mafia Soldier with Chiara Durrazini (Boston Italian Theater Company), Juliet Grames (Soho Press), and Cutrufelli through I Am … Read more
- Join the Global Student Alliance!The Global Student Alliance is a student organization of both undergraduate and graduate students with a mission to cultivate a vibrant and inclusive community of students dedicated to fostering global awareness, cross-cultural understanding, and sustainable change within our college campus … Read more
- Black Lives Matter UWinteriM Study Abroad now accepting applications!Black Lives Matter: A Global Comparative Study in the UK, an award-winning study abroad program, returns in 2024! Join Global Studies affiliated faculty Portia Cobb (Peck School of the Arts) and Ermitte Saint Jacques (African and African Diaspora Studies) in … Read more
- Black Lives Matter: A Global Comparative Study wins GoAbroad Innovation AwardThe Global Studies Program and Study Abroad, along with UK study abroad partners CEA CAPA Education Abroad, have won the 2023 Innovative Study Abroad Program award from GoAbroad.com for the 2023 UWinteriM Study Abroad course BLM: A Global Comparative Study! GLOBAL … Read more
Global Studies Events
There are no upcoming events.
- Global Minutehttps://sway.office.com/CrfWvXQosK79Ydou?ref=Link
- Global Minutehttps://sway.office.com/8LXjGVTWr6RWp9bC?ref=Link
- Global Minute: Special International Education Weekhttps://sway.office.com/QHRhKNJdykvPPKor?ref=Link&loc=play
- Global Minutehttps://sway.office.com/4pCO5uz4lqJjLDEk?ref=Link