Every year, we organize the Festival of Films in French and sponsor the Milwaukee-Madison screenings of Italian Film Festival USA, which are valuable resources for local language instructors.
We periodically host or co-sponsor pedagogical presentations. Recent and upcoming events:
- Dr. Jenny Kehl (Concordia University Wisconsin): a pedagogy workshop on implementing the Global Water Resources modules: “Dive Deep: Engaging Strategies for Teaching About Water,” May 5, 2023
- Dr. Kathryn A. Murphy-Judy (School of World Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University): an online workshop for current and future world language instructors: “Student Curation and Open Educational Resources: A World Languages Model.” April 26, 2023
- Dr. Cynthia Laborde (Modern Languages, University of Texas at Arlington): an immersion workshop in French for K-16 teachers: “Enseigner (avec) les bandes dessinées en français/Teaching (with) graphic novels and comics in French.” February 18, 2023
We work closely with other units at UWM that offer pedagogical training and professional development in world languages and global studies, including
Community and Regional Partners
Members of the department work closely with many local and regional organizations focused on language pedagogy and international education, including:
- Alliance Française de Milwaukee
- American Association of Teachers of French, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Association for Language Teachers
- Wisconsin Network for Early Language Learning
Teaching and Training Materials
See links in navigation menu. We hope to be adding more soon!